《chapter 9》

a.n- Devonte is called Abel Tesfaye from now on. i might change the title and the book cover because of this, so stay tuned.

 "Sleep don't come easy, boy please believe me. Since you been gone, everything's goin' wrong.  Why'd you have to say goodbye, look what you've done to me. I can't stop these tears from fallin' from my eyes" - I'm Goin' Down - Mary J. Blige

True to his word, Eric woke up and took Kalani to the hospital early in the morning. Kalani was nervous the entire time, he had never seen his dad in a hospital, and he never thought he would. He fidgeted with his hands and his knees bounced up and down vigorously as they waited in the waiting room.

"Hey," Eric says quietly, sensing his nephews discomfort. "You alright?"

Kalani nodded, but kept his head down. He twiddled with his thumbs and gently pulled at his hair. Eric chuckled a little bit. "You are just like your dad." He ruffled his nephew's hair. "Calm down. I'm sure he'll be-"

Eric was cut off by a nurse calling his name. He looked at his nephew then nodded at him reassuringly. Soon, they found themselves inside the hospital room that held the person that they were both excessively worried about. 

The nurse opened the door, revealing a sleeping Bruno, his arm over his eyes and his chest rising and falling slowly. He shifted a little in his sleep. Eric quietly nodded at the nurse and then placed a hand on Kalani's back, gently nudging him inside. He closed the door behind him, then took a seat on one of the chairs placed beside Bruno's bed. Kalani did the same, sitting on the chair beside his uncle. 

He studied his father, tears slowly rising to his eyes. He looked a the I.V placed in his dad's arms, and at the scars on his hands that he knew weren't there before. He froze as Bruno removed his arm from his eyes and then rubbed then.

He glanced at Eric and Kalani and then rubbed his eyes tiredly. "Damn," He mumbled, rubbing a hand over his face. He looked at Eric and Kalani again. "How long y'all been watching me for?"

"Not long." Eric said, smiling a little. Bruno let out a small groan as he sat up on the bed, then yawned. "How you feeling?" Eric asked his brother.

"I'm aight." Bruno said. He looked at Kalani. "Hey," He reached over to take his son's hand. "You ok?"

Kalani nodded, looking down at his father's scarred hands with sad eyes. Bruno noticed and let out a sigh.

"Eric, do you mind if I talk to Kal alone for a second?" He asked. Eric glanced between Kalani and Bruno then nodded slowly. 

"Sure. I'll be right outside if you need me." He said, quietly getting up and walking out. He closed the door behind him.

Bruno looked at his son again. "Hey," He let go of Kalani's hand for a second and turned himself so he look at his son face to face. "Can I ask you a question?"

Kalani nodded slowly with squinted eyes. "Sure."

"What's your name again?"