Chapter 9__The Cell

Caroline's crush Jesse had been turned into a vampire, and then Dr. Wes Maxfield had turned him into a vampire feeding Ripper, and Elena had to kill him to save Damon's life.

Meanwhile, Stefan had to save Katherine from killing herself by jumping off the clock tower in Town Square.

Now, Stefan had Katherine sitting in the parlor, writing in a diary.

Katherine was slightly irritated. "Dear diary, so here I am, alive. Stefan saved me from killing myself. Now he's got me on suicide watch. He says it would be therapeutic for me to write down my feelings about the fact that I'm dying and there's nothing I can do about it. Deep thoughts, mortal coil, blah, blah, blah. My hand's tired." She tore the page out frot the diary, crushing it and throwing it over her shoulder. Stefan was pacing. "What kind of sentimental idiot writes down everything they feel? Is this what the prophecy meant when it said that all the Doppelgangers were drawn together like magnets? Because if it is, I want my money back." 

"I'm just trying to make sure you don't slit your wrists," Stefan told her.

"Well, this whole neurotic granny vibe doesn't exactly make me want to live," Katherine told him. "Do you really have nothing better to do than stand there all day and watch me write in cursive?" 

"I'm trying to make sure you don't kill yourself," Stefan told her. 

"And how are you going to do that?" I asked, making them realize I was there. "You know, since you're still having your little panic attacks?" 

"I'm fine," Stefan told me.

"Yeah," I said sarcastically. "Of course. You are the picture of mental health, Stefan, after being locked for three months in a safe at the bottom of a quarry." 

"I am dealing with it, Nikki," Stefan told me.

"I know," I told him. "I mean, I heard you 'dealing with it' earlier today in the library. It sounded like you freaked out and broke a chair, maybe even two. I'm just hoping that you didn't break my favorite reading chair. I'm worried about you, Stefan. This isn't what you're supposed to be going through. And you haven't been listening to a thing that I say." There was a knock on the door. I looked toward the door. "And, so, I may have called for back up." 

Stefan gave me a suspicious look, walking toward the door and opening it to reveal Caroline standing outside, smiling widely. "What are you doing here?" 

"I'm your sober sponser, and I heard that you needed help," Caroline told him.

"Really?" Stefan asked.

"And I got my mom to drop off something for us to use," Caroline told us, stepped aside to reveal the safe that Stefan had been locked in. Stefan stared at it in horror. "Don't worry. I sanitized it." 

~~~~~

Caroline, Stefan and I stood in the parlor, in front of the safe, which was already lying on the floor.

"I spent three months drowning in this thing," Stefan told us. "What the hell were you thinking?" 

"I was thinking it's time for you to deal with the source of your PTSD," Caroline told him.

"And you're sure you're not just sublimating your feelings about what happened to Jesse last night?" I asked.

Caroline turned away from us. "Feelings? What feelings would I have about my best friend killing the guy I was crushing on?" 

"He was out of control, and Elena did what she had to do," Stefan told her.

"No," Caroline told him. "Elena did what she thought she had to do just like she also thought . . ." She turned to face us. "That Damon was good boyfriend material. Now you see where I'm going with this?"