Chapter 13__Total Eclipse of the Heart

The next day, Stefan and Jeremy weren't home. 

I walked downstairs and saw a dead body in the living room.

"Oh, are you kidding me?" I asked in a complaint under my breath, walking forward.

"Hello," an accented voice from behind me said. I turned to face the brunette-haired man. "I'm Enzo. And who might you be?" 

"She a descendant," Damon's voice came from behind me. I turned to face him. "The last human Salvatore. Name's Nicola. I call her Nikki or Cola." 

I smiled sarcastically. "Stop talking about me like I'm a pet to play with or to feed on." 

Enzo rushed up behind me, his head close to my neck. "What a good idea." 

I pushed away from him, turning to face him defiantly. 

"Isn't it?" Damon asked. "Surprised I haven't ever thought of that myself."

Enzo tried to compel me. "Where's Jeremy Gilbert?" 

"I'm not gonna tell you if you're gonna be acting like a dick," I told him. 

Enzo smirked in amusement, looking over my shoulder to look at Damon. "You could've told me that she was on vervain." 

"Oops," Damon said. "Must've slipped my mind." 

"I've lived in a house with two vampires who can't decide if they're good or bad for two years, and you think I'm stupid enough to not have vervain?" I asked. Enzo smirked, taking a step closer. "Or this." 

I punched Enzo in the stomach, ejecting two stakes into his gut. 

Enzo groaned, looking up, smiling. "Feisty. I have been an Augustine vampire for many, many years, Nicola. Anything that you do to me is less than what they did a thousand times over." 

"That sounds like an interesting story," I told him. "Too bad I'm not interested enough to care." 

Enzo took another step forward. I tried to punch him again, this time in the heart. Enzo used vampire speed to catch my arm. I kneed him in the stomach, making the stakes wedge into his gut further, making him let go. I backed away, looking toward the wall.

Damon walked toward me, holding up the sword. "Looking for this?" 

"What are you doing?" I asked incredulously. 

"We asked you where Jeremy was," Damon told me. "You didn't answer." 

"Are you kidding me?" I asked. "This is because of the break up? You're trying to convince yourself that you are exactly what Elena told you last night, maybe even worse?" 

"You should really be a psychiatrist, Nikki," Damon told me. "I just don't know what those talents would do for me, or if they would do anything at all." 

Enzo was suddenly behind me, grabbing both of my arms, wrapping his around them and holding them behind me in one fast vampire move. I struggled against him, but he held tighter. Enzo leaned his chin against my shoulder, smirking at Damon. 

I still couldn't break free.

~~~~~

Damon dragged me to the cell. Enzo opened the door. Damon pushed me inside, both of them following inside.

I turned toward them, trying to fight my way out.

Enzo pointed the sword at me, making me stop. "I wouldn't." 

There was yet another dead body in here.