Chapter 22__Home

Next Book: Crumbling

Caroline had called us to tell us that Julian had killed Stefan, and to meet us at the dorms in Whitmore.

Caroline was crying over Stefan's dead, desiccated body, which was lying on the couch.

We walked in.

I looked at Stefan, feeling like I was going to get sick. "Oh, my God. Stefan!" 

I sat on the coffee table in front of the body. 

Caroline was sobbing. "I didn't know where to bring him, and I just couldn't leave him outside." Damon looked at Stefan's body, disconcerted. "Bonnie has a plan, right? She--she said that she could bring people back." None of us answered. "Tell me that she can bring him back!" 

"We'll bring him back," Damon told us. "Come on. Let's get away from prying eyes." 

Damon, Elena, Caroline and I started to pull Stefan's body away.

~~~~~

I felt like I was breaking, standing in the girls' dorm room, kicking a wooden chair and breaking it. 

"Nicola, stop," Bonnie told me. 

I held my head in my hands, sinking into the chair behind me. 

Damon was in the room, too, having a metal rod, using it to break a flower vase on the fire place mantel. He turned around, using it to point at Bonnie. "You said you had a plan, Bonnie."

"I did," Bonnie told us. "I had a Traveler who knew the right spell."

"And you lost her," I told her.

"I didn't lose her," Bonnie told us. "She was sucked into oblivion like everyone else on the Other Side."

"Then find another one!" Damon told her. 

"It's more than just knowing the spell," Bonnie tol us. "Markos was able to come back because dozens of Travelers were willing to sacrifice themselves in order to overwhelm me. I doubt they'll be willing to do that for a bunch of supernatural strangers." 

Damon pointed at her with the rod. "You know who needs motivation?" He walked closer, pointing the rod at her neck. "You need motivation because if the Other Side goes away, everyone we know there, including you, goes away with it."

"I know that," Bonnie told him. "Do you think I want to die?" 

"My brother is over there," Damon told her.

"I know that!" Bonnie told him. 

I stood up, stepping closer, taking the rod from Damon, throwing it across the room so that he wouldn't hurt Bonnie. "So is Alaric, and so is your Grams." 

"I know that, Nikki," Bonnie told me. She looked behind us. "Enzo is here." 

Damon and I turned toward that direction, but didn't see him.

"Well, if it's not Mr. Butterfingers himself," Damon said. "How'd it feel to have your only hope of coming back literally slip through your fingers?" 

"Are you serious?" Bonnie asked. "You found another Traveler?" 

"Well, then get on it!" I told him. 

Bonnie nodded to something that we didn't hear. "More or less." 

We needed a witch to do the spell for the plan. Elena and Caroline went after Liv and Luke. To convince Liv to help, Caroline snapped Luke's neck so that he would be dead and on the Other Side, making Liv choose to help us do the spell to bring the select few back to life before the Other Side disappeared entirely.