Chapter 20__What Lies Beneath

In the living room, Luke was chanting a locator spell as Damon and I watched.

Damon grew impatient and threw an ice cube at him.

"That's not helping," Luke told him. 

"Well, you've been failing now for an hour, Wonder Twin, so at this point, I can't imagine it's hurting," Damon told him.

"Damon, I know you're out a friend, but, uh, I'm not sure this guy's the best replacement," I told him.

"I don't think this guy's the best anything if his locator spell skills are any indication," Damon told us. "Yo! Where's your sister?" 

"She's tired of being almost murdered," Luke told us. "Look. I can find any person anywhere on the planet, okay? There's just something weird with your friend Enzo. I can't get a read." 

Stefan was standing in the doorway. "Enzo? Didn't he, uh, go to Cape Horn?" 

"He flipped his humanity switch," Damon told us. "There should have been a body count all the way to the airport."

"Well, why are you looking for him?" Stefan asked.

"Gee, I don't know, Stefan," Damon said sarcastically. "Vampire with no humanity who wants me dead for killing his girl. Hmm."

"Well, maybe he hired a witch to block whatever Luke's doing," Stefan told us. "Is that possible?" 

"A cloaking spell?" Luke asked. "I guess." 

"That would mean that he doesn't want to be found, so, uh, why don't you just drop it?" Stefan asked.

Tyler walked into the house without knocking. 

I looked at him with a sarcastic look. "Yeah, sure, just barge right in. Where the hell have you been?"

"With the Travelers," Tyler answered. We raised our eyebrows. "We have a problem." We waited for him to explain. "Markos turned Sloan into a vampire had her drink Doppelganger blood, and after some chanting ritual thing, she turned human again." 

"He cured her?" I asked.

"He cured her to death," Tyler answered. "The blood took away her vampirism but left her in the state that she was in just before she turned."

"That state being dead," I stated. "Got it."

"So it kills vampires," Luke said. "What does the spell mean for the witches?" 

"No one cares," Damon told him. He looked at Tyler. "Wait. Keep going." 

"The point is they feel if they can get rid of all magic, they'll break some lame-ass witch curse," Tyler told us.

"Markos said they can't settle anywhere without evoking earthquakes or hellfire, but they break that curse, and they just move right on into Mystic Falls," Damon told us.

"And come after Elena and me today, as in now," Stefan finished.

"Oh, well," Damon told us. "Markos had a good week or two in the land of the living. Now where is he so we can kill him?" 

"No idea," Tyler told us. "They were moving camp when I got out." 

"Well, good news," I told them. "Our friend Luke here is an alleged genius at locator spells." 

"Travelers are always moving," Luke told us. "They're impossible to track. They'll find Stefan and Elena long before we can find them."

"Well, what about one of those locator spell blocker deals?" I asked. "Is that simple enough for you?"