Chapter 9

Episode 4 (Part 2) - "Sanctuary"

Word Count: 7544

Warnings: Swearing, blood, explosions, badassetry, feelings, mush, angst, yadda yadda yadda get on with the story okay here we go

The Mandalorian walked back to the village from the forest with Cara by his side, the image of what they had just seen bringing them to an eerie silence. He thought it was going to be a couple bandits that had snuck in in the middle of the night and stole some fish. Not an entire Imperial Walker.

He entered the village and looked around, trying to find your form. He wanted you to be beside him as he told everyone so that you could step in (you were way better at words than he was), though he frowned when he didn't see you anywhere. Deciding to try the barn, he stepped closer and felt his frown deepen when he could hear you hissing in pain.

He jumped up the steps and slowly peeked his head through the doorway, watching as you struggled with taping the gauze to your stomach. He stood up straight and headed inside without a word, sitting down on the floor in front of you and reaching over to take the tape from your hand.

You pulled away, giving him a glare.

"I'm fine," you mumbled, and he rolled his eyes while he tried reaching for it again. You pulled it behind your body and he sat up on his knees, continuing to reach for it. You leaned back as far as you could but his arms were longer and he grabbed it, pulling it back towards his body even though you didn't let go.

You tried wrestling it out of his grip so he grabbed your wrists, watching you struggle for a full 10 seconds before groaning, "I'm fine!"

He raised his eyebrows and stayed silent, keeping his hands on your wrists and watching as your demeanor slowly failed, your shoulders sagging and your head falling in front of you.

"You're right," you muttered. "I'm sorry."

You let go and he did too, sitting back down on the ground and taking a quick look at the wound. It was deep, it was singed, it looked like it hurt like hell, and he glanced back up at your face.

"Did you find anything?" You asked, resting your head on his shoulder while he placed the gauze on top and started carefully taping it to your skin.

He kept his position steady. "It's an Imperial Walker."

You picked your head up. "It's... what?! Why is there one down here?"

He shrugged. "That's what I said."

"What are we going to do?"

"We," he said, tearing off another piece of tape and attaching it. "Are doing nothing."

"You can't just tell them to leave their farm, Woodrow, this is their home."

He watched as you gently lifted the material of your top over the tape and set it down comfortably, the bandage still pretty much exposed since the outfit didn't cover your stomach. When he asked about your leg you answered that you had already changed that one.

When he stood up he reached out his hand, helping you stand slowly. You sighed and walked over to the crib, picking up the sleeping baby and cradling him close while you walked out of the barn.

"I don't think we've got another choice."

You frowned, keeping silent. Even you knew this conversation wasn't going to go over well. Cara walked into the barn, giving you a kind smile.

"How you holdin' up?"

You laughed. "Kids seem so much more energetic when you can't move."

She chuckled and the Mandalorian stuck out his elbow, nodding when you looped your arm through it and the four of you walked out to deliver the news to the village. Almost everyone was outside waiting anxiously, leading you to squeeze his arm a little bit as an encouragement.