Chapter 10

Episode 5 - "The Gunslinger"

Word Count: 6741

Warnings: Swearing, blood, creepy dude, fluff, anger, confusion, a will for the author to be faster, etc. 

A/N: *starts playing "It's Been Awhile" by Staind*

"Jesus fu- ow!" You rubbed your head where you had smacked it into a metal pipe and glared up towards the cockpit. "Could you learn to fly, please?!" you yelled up, bending back down to check the wiring near the hyperdrive.

"Would you like to come up here and get this guy off my ass for me?" Lumpy yelled back, his voice scruffy and demanding, making you roll your eyes.

"Actually I would, but we might die if I don't fix this down here!"

"Then do your job and let me do mine!"

You huffed and crawled under a large pipe, covering your face as some of the wires sparked. Peeking your eyes back open when you thought it was over you immediately started replacing the wires that had melted, then yelped when they started sparking again. They had to get fixed, though, so you wearily kept one eye open, trying to work as fast as possible.

The ship jerked to the left and shook with turbulence. You cursed when your hand slipped and caused you to slice and shock your finger, immediately drawing blood as it started to feel numb. You clipped the last wire in place and flicked a couple switches, then crawled back out and inspected the room. There was an alarm blaring on the wall about 15 feet in the air and you sighed, rushing over to the ladder in the wall to climb up to check it out.

You wrapped your arm around one of the rungs and grabbed the latch, twisting it towards you to open it and pull out the motherboard that was inside. There was a great mess of wires and switches and a few more sparks flying everywhere. You pulled a couple spare wires out of your belt and held them in your mouth, getting in close to see where the sparking was coming from and what you had to do to fix it.

You pulled out a couple wires and replaced them, pretending what you were doing wasn't dangerous at all and deciding that this would be a good secret to keep to yourself - until Lumpy would look right through you and get you to confess in seconds. The turbulence of the ship caused you to lose your footing for a second and bite your tongue.

"Hold on!" Lumpy yelled from the cockpit and you swore again, trying to hurriedly change the last wire. You clipped it on and slammed the hardware back into the wall, locking it tightly but not getting enough time to process what the hell you were going to hang on to until it was too late.

The ship jerked forward and up, doing a large loop that you actually managed to hang on for, but then when it jerked back roughly, you lost your footing and fell to the floor, and your back crashed into the metal plates. You groaned and gasped for breath, your back arching in pain and your vision going just a tiny bit spotty. When your vision cleared you could see the Child staring down at you, cooing and giggling while resting his hands on your forehead.

"I thought I told you to hold on!"

You scoffed, quickly picking up the baby and taking a glance around the room to make sure nothing else was fatal at the moment before climbing out of the hole you were in. Setting the Child back down in his seat you glanced out the front windshield, only to frown as the power to the ship went out. Lumpy tried pressing a few buttons and came up with nothing, so you quickly headed behind one of the seats and flicked a few switches.

"Engaging backup power supply," you mumbled, waiting a few seconds until all the lights came back on and the baby giggled from behind you. You turned around and smiled, taking off your bracelet for him to play with and petting his head softly.