CHAPTER TWO

The blankets got pulled off of me and the sun shone brightly in my face

I groaned, peeling my eyes open to find a red-head grinning down at me. She doesn't say anything yet, just grabs my hand and pulls me out of bed.

"Hey Emmie!" Mike smiles, giving me a side hug.

"Mike, glad you could make it." I say sarcastically.

Mike rolls his eyes, helping Lucas and Will draw on a white cardboard sign.

"Hey, El." I wave.

In return, she gives me a small smile, latching herself to Mikes side.

"It's been like that all summer," Max explains, "Whenever El would hangout with us they never left each others side, it's weird."

I nod, "Yes, yes it is."

|

I peek out the window, watching as Claudia's yellow car pulls into the driveway, "Guys, he's here!" I announce as we all scurry behind the wall.

The door opens and Dustin walks in, his bag clutched in his hand, "Emmie I'm home!" I look over to see Dustin's eyes furrow when I don't reply, "Emmie?" He shouts, wandering to my room. His eyes scan for me before he sighs, trudging into his room.

We wait a few moments before Mike whispers, "Go."

Eleven obeys, closing her eyes and trying to focus on making the toys-or as Dustin calls them, figurines-march away. She continues to move them, making Dustin follow behind closely, holding a can of Farrah Fawcett spray to defend himself.

We all hold are breath as Dustin enters into the living room.

"Now." Mike whispers. El turns the power off on all of the toys, everything now silent.

As Dust goes to check out all the toys, we slowly walk out behind him. Max holding up her fingers as we mouth a countdown from 3.

We all blow into are noisemakers, making Dustin scream at the top of his lungs. He spins around, his index finger quickly pushing down the trigger of the spray.

Lucas joins Dustin in letting out a ear-piercing screech when my cousin sprays his best friend directly in the eyes.

I press my lips together, trying my best to stifle a laugh as Lucas rubs his eyes roughly.

Max leads Lucas quickly to the kitchen as we all greet Dustin one by one.

I embrace my cousin tightly, "Good to have you back, buddy."

"I could say the same for you," Dustin responds, "How was Mystic Falls?"

"Pretty good," I smile, "Lena wanted me to tell you hi and she misses you."

|

"I call it...the Forever Clock," Dustin explains, picking up some weird machine, "All right? Powered by wind. Very useful in the apocalypse." He then hands it to Will who examines it in awe.