CHAPTER FIVE

Max runs around the room, singing into a remote while I sat on the bed with El, looking through magazines

"That's Ralph Macchio." I point out.

"Oh, she found Ralph Macchio." Max hears.

"Macchio?" El asks.

"Yeah, he's the Karate Kid." Max tells her, "Hai-yah."

We all giggle.

"He's so hot, right?" Max exclaims, "I bet he's an amazing kisser, too."

I make a gag noise and El gives Max a 'woah there' type look.

"Hey, uh..." Max starts, her eyes switching between El and I, "Is Mike a good kisser?"

"Ew!" I shout, jumping off the bed and throwing my hand up.

"I don't know." El answers, "He's my first boyfriend.

I look at the picture of Mike framed on El's desk.

"Ex-boyfriend." Max corrects, "Hey, don't worry about it. Okay? He'll come crawling back to you in no time, begging for forgiveness. I guarantee you, him and Lucas are, like, totally wallowing in self-pity and misery right now..."

Max goes on to impersonate the two, expressing how she would do anything to see how they look right now, and lucky for her, El had the perfect idea.

|

El takes off the mask, a blank expression on her face as she turns over to us, "What happened?" Max and I chorus.

She bursts into a fit of giggles as we laugh with her, continuously asking what happened when a car pulls into the drive way.

"Here." El says, tossing us each a magazine as we lay on the floor.

The front door slams open, then shut.

"Hey!" Hoppers voice booms outside the door, "Hey! When I say three inches, three-" He busts open the door, finding us all reading magazines.

"Do you knock? Jeez!" Max groans.

"Yeah! Jeez!" El repeats.

"Oh, hey." Hopper says slowly, "I'm sorry. I thought that, uh-"

"Mikes not here." Max cuts him off.

"Max and Em wanted to have...a sleepover." El explained, "Is that....okay?"

"Yeah." Hopper answers, "Yeah. Yeah. Yeah."

"Your parents know about it?" Hopper asks Max.

"Yup." Max nods.

Hopper turns to me, "Your Aunt?"

I give him a thumbs up.

"Uh-yeah. It's cool." Hop stutters, "Yeah. That's-that's really cool."

I roll my eyes, shaking my head.