CHAPTER SIX

As people rush by in bathing suits, trying to cover themselves with whatever they could, El, Max, and I ran towards the pool, ignoring the stampede of people

"Excuse me." Max says as we approached two of the staff.

"No one in the water until 30 minutes after the last strike." The man responds, not even looking up from the magazine he was reading, "And don't even argue with me. You wan't to get electrocuted, climb a tree."

I scoff as Max brushes him off, "Yeah, we don't care. We're not here to swim. Or get electrocuted."

El pulls the lifeguard fanny pack out of her jacket pocket, "We found this."

"Does that belong to anybody here?" I ask. The guys eyes travel up to me and he winks, barf.

"Oh, yeah. That's Heathers." The manager answers, "I'll get it back to her."

"We could give it back to her." El speaks up.

"You could." He says, "'Cept she's not here. Bailed on me today."

We all shared a look before he spoke up again, "What is this? You girls want a reward or somethin'"

Max replies back to the man but I don't pay attention much longer as I follow El who was walking away.

She walks over to a bulletin board that had a few pictures of all the lifeguards that worked here. My eyes met the one labeled 'Heather' and I recognized her immediately.

"Heather." Max pointed out.

"I've seen this girl before," I tell the two, "She's always staring at Billy and trying to flirt with him. It's disgusting."

"But why would he hurt her?" El asks, looking down at the fanny pack once more.

"I don't know." Max answers, "Do you think you could find her?"

El looks back at the two lifeguards before turning back around, ripping the picture of Heather from the tack.

The three of us start making our way to the showers. El and Max are leading in front of me. They enter the bathrooms quickly after finding goggles and duck-tape that El could use.

Before I could make it to the showers door my ring slips off of my finger, "Shit, shit, shit."

I immediately get on my knees, searching around frantically for my daylight ring.

"What the hell are you doing?" Max asks as her and El make their way back outside.

"I-I dropped my ring." My panicked voice answers, "It-it slipped, and I can't find it. I can't find it!"

"Calm down, we'll find it." El coo's, the two younger teens getting on their knees as well to search for the missing ring.

"Found-wait, no, sorry. That was a rock." Max sighs.

"Got it!" El exclaims, standing up with my ring clutched in her hand.

"Thank you." I let out a breath of relief, putting the ring back in its rightful place, "Now let's go find Heather."

We retreat back to the shower room, Max and I turning on every single shower.

El smoothes down the duck tape before dropping the picture of Heather on the ground and putting on the goggles.

After a few moments of Max and I silently waiting, Max speaks up, "What do you see?"

"Yeah, anything weird?" I add.

"A door." El whispers, "A red door."

A few minutes, nothing. Silence.

A gasp leaves El's lips as she rips off the goggles, her breathing heavy.

"What happened." Max and I ask in sync.

Her chest heaves up and down and I rub her back for comfort, sharing a concerned look with Max.

|

"Is this it?" Max asks El as we finally make it to the house El had seen in the void. Well, the mailbox.

El nods her head and Max drops her bike as we quickly approach the patio. El makes the door creak wide open, motioning for us to go inside.

Max goes in first, then El. When I go to walk through I get stopped short at the doorway. I try again, no use. Fuck.

"What-whats going on?" El asks as her and Max turn around when I hadn't entered behind them.

"I have to be invited in." I grumble, "Con of being a bloodsucker."

"Then what are we gonna do?" Max asks, taking off her hood.

"You guys go in, see what's going down, then get out." I order, "I don't want anything to happen to you two, got it?"

They nod, slowly making their way out of my view. I let out a few curse words under my breath, forcefully pushing one of my hands up against the invisible barrier.

|

After around 5-10 minutes of me listening to the conversation over the booming of thunder the two girls came out, the two star struck girls made their way out of the house, only to be accompanied by Billy.

I glanced at him. He smiles brightly, but it didn't meet his eyes. His eyes almost looked-dead. They were dull, empty.

He flashed me a smirk and I huffed, spinning around to the two girls who were already making their way down the path.

"So, what happened was-" Max begins when I catch up to them.

"I heard everything." I cut her off. Pointing to my ear I say, "Bloodsucker, remember?"

El gets on the back of Max's bike as they pedal slowly next to me, Max replies, "Yeah but it's was so weird."

"She was-she was perfectly fine, but when I saw her in the void-" El pauses, "Something is wrong, very wrong."