Chemistry

Gwen's PoV

I sat in business, pushing my pencil from one end of the desk to the other, then back again. It is something I do when I'm bored, so pretty much all the time.

My teacher was on a rant about spreadsheets, and I had long since stopped listening, preferring to  daydream than to listen to his lectures.

A knock on the door jolted me from my thoughts.

'Excuse me sir, but Mrs Stanley would like to see Gwen and Blair please.'

I stood awkwardly, not sure whether I should take my bag or not. I looked at Blair, who seemed to be thinking the same thing. I didn't know Blair all that well- the only class I ever spoke to him in was English, and even then it was usually just to ask him how to do something seeing as he sat at my table.

We left the classroom and followed the small boy who had delivered the message through the corridors. With his shirt tail hanging out, he looked as though he was only a first year. Finally, we arrived at Mrs Stanley's room, the chemistry teacher who signed me up for the tuition. I readied myself to try and talk my way out of the class. 

Blair walked beside me, an awkward silence hanging between us. We entered the office along with the first year, who took a seat near the back, and were confronted by three other students sitting in front of the desk, clearly waiting for us to arrive. James was one of them, along with two girls whom I vaguely recognised as Olivia, the girl no one talked to, and Sami, the new kid. I walked to the far end of the office to stand next to James, passing Sami and Olivia, who seemed to be deep in conversation.

Another first year came in and sat down, as well as Stevie and a guy called Tommy who was in our year. Mrs Stanley began as soon as everyone was present.

'Ah good, you're all here. Let's get started. So as you're all aware, each of you has been signed up, or has volunteered, to attend an out of school chemistry tutoring class. Now I don't want any excuses as to why you can't go because I have already spoken to your parents about this and they have each said you can go. I simply brought you all here to give you more information.'

Wait. She actually went and spoke to our parents about this before bringing it up with us? Who does she think she is? I sighed internally. I can't believe my parents didn't even mention this to me. I bet she told them not to- that's the sort of thing she would do. Too frustrated to listen, I zoned out, no longer paying attention to what Mrs Stanley had to say. I could always get the information from James or Stevie later.

Tommy's PoV

Urgh, why did Mrs Stanley have to sign me up for this? My parents had probably only agreed because they thought it would give me more of a social life. I didn't even need tutoring! I had Blair, for god's sake- that was good enough.

Wearily, I listened to Mrs S as she told us about the tutor, whose lessons would run every Monday from 6pm till 8pm. As if Monday's weren't long and boring enough. She said our tutor was called Mr Walters and that we should pay attention to him since he would be helping us pass the subject. Yeah fat chance miss.

Sami' s PoV

I've not even been here a full week and I've already been signed up for a tutor against my will. Well, this school has got off to a tremendous start. At least I might be able to get a good grade in chemistry though, because I was barely pulling a C in my old school. Mind you, my teacher wasn't the best, only sometimes showing up. When he wasn't there we had to just sit doing examples from the textbook. I think I guessed about 80% of all the questions I was ever asked in that class.

I listened intently to Mrs Stanleys all the way through her Oscar-worthy speech. Honestly, she must have went on for a good 20 minutes without stopping. And when she was finished she didn't even give us the chance to ask any questions. She just assumed we were all good and sent us off back to class.

In a way I was kind of disappointed she only took half the period. I couldn't be bothered with the rest of art. At least I had Olivia, though, who was walking (well sulking) beside me as we headed back down the stairs to art.

Olivia's PoV

'I can't even believe that woman.' I groaned. 'She has the audacity to send us to some random tutor without our consent then expects us just to go along with her grand plan.'

I resisited the urge to stomp my feet in fit of temper as I walked along the corridor next to my best friend.

'I know. I don't get why she is even bothering with it anyway. I mean, she's leaving at the end of the school year anyway, so why should she care what grades we get? It's not like the school can threaten to fire her if she is already leaving.'

I laughed. Sami always made me laugh. I had forgotten Mrs Stanley was leaving, and felt guilty about how pleased I was about it. I wouldn't ever have to listen to her bang on about ionic and covalent bonding again. She must have spent about 2 months going over that with us.

My thoughts turned back to art, and how much I wished that Miss Wilson would leave. She is such a bad teacher, and was the main reason why I didn't want to go back to art. We were meant to do one period a week on theory to study our chosen artists, but she threw that right out the window. We've been doing theory for the past month now! Can we please just stop this already and go back to colouring?

Oh well, I would take a full day of Miss Wilson and her art theory over this stupid chemistry tutor we are being forced to go to.