12

Jay

Everyone was talking to each other. And here I was, sitting on the couch, listening. I glance over at Stephen, my first friend. All the other kids at school thought I was a psychopath, but not him. I remember the exact day when I met him.

It was a normal day, everyone ignoring me and classes barely being survived. I usually tuned out everyone and their insults, while tuning out the teacher as well. In the back of the classroom, you would find me with my knees to my chest, working on a hole in my desk. If you weren't looking, you wouldn't see me. I made sure that I would be invisible, so no one would be able to see me or throw empty insults at me. In front of me was a boy with weird hair. He had a fluffy mohawk, and it was purple out of all colors. One day, he was walking to his desk as normal. I was already in class and watched him make his way over. He looked over at me and nodded his head. I got prepared to tune out his insults, but he didn't say anything. He just sat down and turned to me.

¨What's up?¨ He said. I could tell he was trying to get me to talk. I wouldn't cooperate, I can't trust this guy yet. I shrug and turn the other way. ¨Okay, silent kid. How long have you been in the class?¨

I stayed quiet, not turning my head.

¨Well, I know that you have been here at least since September.¨ I'm not listening. ¨What is your name?¨

¨Why are you even talking to me?¨ I ask, not moving.

¨Because you look lonely. And you look like you would be a cool person.¨ He must be joking.

¨Lies. No one talks to me unless it's to insult me or scold me.¨ He looks at me with a curious expression. ¨Or ask me if I even have eyes.¨

¨Well everyone has eyes unless I gauged them out.¨ He said casually. I look up at that, he stared right back at me with a serious face.

I decided that this would be a good time to pretend that I had something to do. Seeing that I was getting my textbook out of my bag, this guy turned back to the front of the classroom. Before getting too into the work, he said something.

¨Stephen.¨ he said. ¨You can call me Stephen.¨

That was a long time ago. Now, many things have changed. Stephen had introduced me to Daniel and Hosuh and we became a group. My only friends started to bond closer to each other, leaving me slightly off the picture. I still stuck with them, not much else I could do. And here we are, in the house of a friend's friend, silent among the active in the shadows. The lone people trailing along with the packs, barley living. I look over at Daniel, who is chatting away with Stephen. They seemed happy together, without me. That made me finally decide.

I get up and walk out, no one tries to stop me. There was one thing I didn't tell Hosuh. I never say everything I think, no matter how much my mind tells me to. Hosuh might be suspicious, but I doubt he would go look. My mind is screaming at me to turn back, but I pushed those thoughts aside. I needed to part from the group, they would be happier. It was always better without me, in every situation. I reach the door and grab my mask, looking back at the entryway of the living room one last time. And then put my mask on and simply leave, out of the house than out of the neighborhood. I wanted to get far away from them, so they couldn't find me. I could survive on my own in the Tainting. I had the skills and equipment. It would be okay. But then I remember Daniel, how much he would miss me. How much Hosuh would worry if I was alright. The way Stephen would try to calm down Hosuh, cursing himself for trusting me. But it was okay, they would be better off if I was living on my own. I keep walking, not looking back at the house where my best friends, my first friend, were staying at. I wouldn't look back, that was a sign of weakness. And I was not weak, I couldn't be. If I would survive on my own, I had to be strong mentally and physically. Something I had always been before. But now, it seemed to be harder than ever.

TBC