Chapter 6 - The fall of Powers

A year has passed and you just celebrated your 16th birthday with Jim, you had told your mother about your friendship with Jim just a month before.

~~~

"Mum..." she hums absentmindedly, you continue. "I'm going out, is that ok?" She raises a brow then looks up from the telly.

"Why?" You sigh and let go of the door handle.

"I'm just going out with a friend..." she scoffs.

"You don't have friends," her mocking tone makes you roll your eyes. Walking into the living room your footsteps fill the tense silence.

"Well I do, his name is Jim," she starts to laugh, getting louder and louder until she clutched her stomach.

"Oh that's funny! Really, you have fun with your imaginary friends," you sigh and leave the house.

"He's real you know!" You grumble, loud enough for her to hear. She starts to laugh again, you shut the door and mount your bike. Hopefully this day will be well spent.

~~~

Now it was just a normal school day except that's what you thought. Everyone in the halls was holding a newspaper, the daily mail, the telegraph and so on. It was odd but you decided to ignore it. "Hey," you walked up to Jim who had gotten his things out his locker.

"Hey," he said joyfully.

"Why so happy?" You said, suddenly smiling.

"Haven't you heard?" His voice whispers low. "Carl Powers is dead, he drowned!" Your eyes quirk for a second, before you smile.

"That's great, Jim!" He gestured you to walk with him.

"You're not weirded out by my happiness?" You chuckle and shake your head.

"I always know assholes like that get what they deserve and he was an asshole," you put your hand onto your classroom handle and tell Jim bye. He waves and leaves, you enter the empty classroom. I can't believe he's dead... at least Jim is happy!

~~~

Walking out of school you see that blue eyed boy shouting at officers. "It's obviously murder! Can't you wrap your small brains around that possibility?!" He looked at you before turning back to the officers. You stood for a second as you saw him get shrugged off by the men. His frustration grew and it was noticeable. You carried along your way towards your house leaving the boy alone.

~~~

Entering the dimly lit room you catch your mother pouring a glass of wine, guess she's going light today... you say a quick hello and immediately trudge up to your room. Putting your bag down you take out the Walkman Jim gave you.

"I also got one more thing..." you stopped admiring the necklace Jim gave you that had your initials on it. You looked up at your best friend and saw he held a neatly wrapped gift behind his back.

"Another gift?! Jim I already told you not to get me anything!" You sigh with a smile playing on your lips. He hands you the fairly big package, you carefully unwrap it, catching a glimpse of the logo you gasp loudly and start shaking your head. "Jim no- No! Why did you get me this?!" You quiet your voice. "You know how much these things cost?!" You whisper shout, he just laughs and takes out a tape he hands it to you. Labelled on it, it said 'a mix to steal the Crown Jewels to'

"Hope you like it," you giggle and hold up the cassette tape.

"A mix to steal the Crown Jewels to? Jim!" You lightly punch his arm. "Does it already have batteries in it?" He nods and you smile, placing in the tape you put in the headset and start it. The first song you hear is 'the thieving magpie' you close your eyes and take in the tunes. This whole time Jim just stares at you in awe, taking in your features as you did the music.

Now playing was stayin alive by the bee gees, you attached the Walkman to your belt and started to dance around in your room. Swaying side to side, your carefree attitude would have struck awe ridden thoughts through anyone's head, sadly you were interrupted by the beeping of your alarm. It was time to meet up with your small group of friends, you hadn't met up with them for a few weeks and you were excited as hell to see them again. You grabbed the only money you had and made your way down the stairs towards your bike. Saying goodbye to your mother you got on, cycling through the dimly lit sunset streets wind blowing through your hair you see the diner come into view. Three other bikes were stationed by the entrance and you smiled knowing they were here. "Hey guys... sorry I'm late," they smile without saying a word they all hold out a gift of their own.

"Surprise!" Ally shouts with glee as she tosses you her present. "Sorry we missed your birthday," you look at them dumbfounded. Looking down at the beautifully wrapped gift you cock a brow.  "There's no bomb in there don't worry," she smiles gesturing for you to open it. You slowly uncover the prize waiting behind the paper. Looking at the gift you smile fondly, a book.

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland?" You open the cover and flick through the pages but go back to the first page an read its the first edition. "First edition?! How did you get this?" Ally shrugs happily to see you so happy.

"Alright alright, my turn!" Charlie holds out a ring sized box with a small bow on top.

"Are you asking me to marry you?" You chuckle and take the box off her. Popping the ring box open you see a shiny ruby ring with the engraving 'Queen of Hearts' and a small crown. Widened eyes you drop the box before yelping and picking back up, dusting it off and look back at your friends. "Is-? Is this real?!" Charlie nods. "H-how did you get the money to afford this?" She shrugs everyone holds out their own ring and you stare in awe. Charlie had purple garnet adorned with a Cheshire smile, Ally had a blue diamond with a little girl charm and finally, Mathew had an orange topaz with a small teacup. You laugh and put the ring on. "What are we? The wonderland gang?" They all smile and nod. You chuckle and look down at the ring then back up at their grinning faces. "Wait you're serious?"

"How do you think I got these rings?" Charlie smirked. You breathe out a 'no way' whilst admiring the jewel.

"So? What do you say?" You chuckle not thinking they were serious.

"Wait- you're serious aren't you?" Mathew nods enthusiastically, you look dumbfounded, and to be fair you were. How were 4 teens going to pull off such a big thing? Starting a gang? Was it going to be a serious thing? You had no idea...