Chapter 8 - A year in

A year has passed, you and the gang blew up like fireworks, the media buzzed with your crimes, you were unstoppable. Like supernatural beings, you vanished without a trace only leaving behind little messages from each corresponding character; quotes, cards, icons, the such.

"Feared four strike: Billionaire Anthony Stalk found dead in penthouse surrounded by evidence proving him guilty for-"

"We are bound to find the wonderland gang soon just-"

"Wonderland win: Gang leader, Lucas Malfey discovered bound to chair in front of police station-"

"Hero or villain? Queen of hearts card found at scene of crime later-"

"Anti hero: Queen if hearts suspected-"

"Queen of hearts-

"Queen of-"

"Queen-"

"You seem to be a hit, Y/n," you smile, proud as Mathew passes you wad of cash across the room. You bow while seated and count the money you had gotten. It was odd to be where you were now... your first kill was a year ago and yet now the sight of a dead person... it didn't bother you- as much.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow," taking the last slice of pizza and saluting on your way out you grab your bike and stuff the cash in your bag, making your way back home.

"You've been out quite a lot," your mother's voice echoed from the dark kitchen.

"Hi mum... yeah... I- I've been hanging out with friends for study session," lying was easy for you too. Hearing a hum of dismissal you tighten your grip on your bag and walk upstairs before a tug on your bag motioned you to stop. Turning around your mother held a letter in her hand.

"It's for you," looking at the writing dimly lit by the moonlight you see your name written in pen. Male, 24? Who's male and 24 that I know? You ponder before gasping and grabbing the letter. "Don't look so happy, it's not like he's coming home," you roll your eyes and continue up the stairs.

Dear Y/n,
It's me, you can probably guess who with that smart talent of yours. Anyways I'm writing from you north and was wondering if you could send some money. Mums not replying, probably still upset about me stating that she has an addiction. $5,000 would be good, take it from mums safe or something.
Love, your brother

"Seriously? It's been 2 years and he asks for money? What a twat..." you crumpled up the paper and toss it in the bin. Slumping down on your bed you stare up at the moonlight seeping through the crack in your curtains, wondering, will you ever have a normal life? Normal family? Maybe in the future there was a slim chance but right now? Right here? Not a chance, you were the Queen of Hearts for gods sake and you were gonna do the best you can to save what you can to get that normal life you want.

~~~

"N/n..." you smirk and shut the door of your locker, Jim stood there with a grin on his face. He had been so busy with final exams you hardly had time to catch up with him. He held out his hand, in it was a small box covered in gold wrapping paper with a red bow on top. Squinting your eyes you look up at him then back down at the box. Seeing you eye it for a while he sighs and rolls his eyes. "No it's not rigged," he says, thinking about the time he gave a you a present on Christmas that was actually rigged to throw glitter in your face. Carefully you take the box and unlace the bow, it falls to the floor , not before Jim catches it. You chuckle and rip the paper off to reveal a velvet box.

"James Moriarty, what did you do?" Shrugging off your question he smiles and gestures for you to open it. Looking down at the opened box you see a glimmering crown pendant with your initials on it. Staring in shock you forget how to speak.

"Well?" He asks hopefully. "You like it?" Still in shock you mutter unintelligible sounds. "You don't like it do you-?" He was cut off when you wrapped your arms around him quickly. Mumbling words of thanks into his chest. He awkwardly stands there until you chuckle and grab his arms, putting them around you. He was hesitant before squeezing you tight, you guessed he hasn't received affection like this in... forever maybe. You were right, not once did Jim receive affection from his mother or father, growing up in a rich suburb where only money and success mattered. Pulling away, you smile sheepishly at him before asking.

"Can you help me put it on?" He nods, turning you around and pushing your hair out the way, he places the necklace carefully on your collar bone. Hearing it clip you sigh and spin around. "Well, what do you think?" He blushes lightly before smiling.

"You look beautiful... just like always," turning a deep shade of pink you giggle and take his hand, leading him out the door. He adjusts his bag as you both walk down the road, hand in hand. Everything felt perfect, you weren't dating, no, but it didn't matter. Stopping at the crossroad where you usually parted you smile and give him a kiss on his cheek.

"Thank you, Jim," he smiles... quickly fiddling in his bag he pulls out a paper. "What's that?"

"University letter," you gasp, Jim had been talking for months about university, you both promised that you'd go to the university of London to meet up and study together.

"You got in?" You squealed. He nods enthusiastically, taking out the letter her holds it out for you to read. "Dear Mr James Moriarty, congratulations! You have been accepted into the university of Oxford... Oxford? I thought we were planning to go to UoL?" His smile faded.

"Yeah... well I was but my father forced me to drop that and go to Oxford! I thought you'd be happy for me..." he tilts his head. You look up at him water forming in your eyes.

"Jim... that's so far away! Who will I go to if I need help?! You're my only friend! I-" you stop your babbling before composing yourself.

"N/n?" He looks at your worriedly. You sniffle before standing up proper and handing the letter back to him.

"I'm happy for you, James," you reply coldly. "I hope your future turns out well, best of luck," your turn on your heel and walk to other way. Jim places a hand on your shoulder, shifting his grip off, you sigh. "Have a nice afternoon," you walk off leaving him standing at the crossroad.