My dragon ♡

I've lived in this tower for many years, with nobody to talk to. At least nobody that could talk back.

I was but a little girl when I was snatched from my father's home and brought here. I don't remember much, only a feeling of solitude, or maybe I think like that because it's the only emotion I really know.

Every day of my life I've stared out this window wondering what's out there, if there's anyone thinking of me; still, I never had any clear wish, because this is the only life I know, so I never knew what to wish for.

Now I know what it was not.
I didn't want this, I never wished to pay this price.

Out of the blue a knight came, in full armor, and attacked my dragon.

Why did he have to do that? The poor beast was sleeping, and he just attacked!

I watched them fight with conflicting emotions. Who was that man? What did he want? Was he here to bring me back home? If so, he could have done that without fighting. If he was able to get in here, he could take me out without waking it.

Was I supposed to cheer for him?
I wasn't, I couldn't, for years this kind beast was my only companion, it brought me food and kept me warm. I don't know how it managed to bring me here, I was too little to remember, but I know it never harmed me.

I understood now something that I had never realised before. I was never alone.

The knight fought fiercely, chuckling eerily every time he managed to hit my friend.

The dragon fought back, but I could tell it was restraining its strength.
It was protecting me, flying away would mean leaving me here at the mercy of this unknown, violent intruder, but fighting back with all its power would have endangered me.

I was holding my breath, watching their every move, while tears fell down my cheeks every time I saw it getting hurt.

The knight's voice was unpleasant, he seemed to find pleasure in hurting my dragon. I never imagined that people like this existed.

I wanted to scream, to tell him to stop, but I didn't know how, I hadn't spoken in so long, if I ever did.

I wanted to move like he was doing, but my legs were different, and never sustained my weight.

All I could do was stay where I was, watching them with horror worrying about what would happen next.

I watched my dragon getting hurt many times, it was clearly exhausted now, and the knight was going to finish its life.

Somehow I could understand what was happening. I had never seen death before, but I understood pain, and something broke inside me.

I raised my hands and then screamed with all I could.
The panting dragon simply turned its head in my direction, but the knight stopped moving, just as I wished.

"What are you doing to me, witch?" he asked angrily, and I wouldn't have known what to say even if I knew the words.

What was I doing to him? I had no idea, I had never done anything like that before.

I moved my hands again, tentatively, but nothing happened. I got distracted by these thoughts and only realised the knight was again moving when I heard my dragon growling.

Alarmed, I raised my eyes from my hands to look at them and fear gripped me once again.

I screamed; only a screeching sound came out of my mouth, but in my head the scream had a clear meaning: "Stay away from my dragon!"

In my heart the words were clear and powerful, and to my surprise the knight was caught by a sudden wind and thrown away from the dragon.

"You really are a witch, the rumours were true. I thought it was nothing more than ignorant blabbering, but I see now why they got rid of you."