Romeo and Julian - a love story

From urban prompt found here https://my.w.tt/GI1rKTFDn3,
"Write about a modern day Romeo and Juliet, in 10000 words or less create your own spin to the classic Shakespearean tragedy. Feel free to take whatever approach you'd like"
Prompt found among the Friday Prompts of urban and WattpadUrban

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~Story starts here~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What once was tragedy, now is no more
'cause times change and people learn...

This is the story of two star-crossed lovers, whose families' hate proved so strong.
What will be and who shall survive? For they thought that hate was just and love was wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Romeo was young but he already had secrets. He knew that he was different from his cousins, he could admire the beauty of women for he had eyes to see, but their beauty could never steal his heart the same way young Robert had.

He had also ears and a functioning brain, so he kept his love a secret. Only once he was caught sighing, and he answered their inquiries with the name Ro...saline.

Julian was just as young and also obedient, so when his parents told him that he ought to marry the daughter of count Paris he nodded unable to tell them that he didn't love her.

Why didn't he?
He didn't know, her beauty could not be contested, her position was privileged, but he knew he could never love her.

Julian's family hosted a big ball to announce his engagement. He felt empty and unhappy. How could he, their only son, betray their expectations this way? So he kept silent once again, wondering if love could be learned.

Romeo's cousins brought him to the ball, where he hoped he could meet his love. All people there wore a mask, would his heart recognise the object of his every sigh?

That remained a mystery for the unexpected happened and destiny played its tricks.

He spotted a figure so elegant and so imposing, he admired the way he carried himself, head high and yet apart, shying away in a world where everyone seemed to fight for attention.

Unable to resist, Romeo moved closer until he could be heard even if he decided to whisper.

He hadn't been noticed yet so he took that elegant hand in his, making him turn.

Julian felt a touch and when he turned his eyes met Romeo's. He watched his own hand being kissed by two rosy lips and he blushed looking around himself.

Nobody had noticed yet so he took that hand in his and moved leading this stranger outside on the terrace.

It was darker there, without all the lights of the big hall, but the moon was shining bright over them and it was enough.

"Who are you?" he asked without taking his hand away.
"My name is Romeo, and your voice is as beautiful as I imagined."

Julian blushed not knowing what to say to that, so he changed the subject.

They started talking about the ball, the people attending, and soon they were immersed in a conversation that both of them enjoyed.

Julian felt drawn to those deep eyes, and he felt his heart tingle like never before.

He realised now what Romeo already knew, why he could never be swept away by any female beauty.

He raised his mask and Romeo gasped at what he saw, how could he ever think that he had seen beauty before?
Nothing could compare to that face, and he knew then that he would never love anyone else but Julian whose smile shone brighter than the sun, Julian who had the voice of an angel and the grace of a prince.