Valentine's Contest 2020 - First Love

Wei had a new classmate this year. Since day one he had felt like he wanted to know him better, but had never been able to really talk to him.

It shouldn't be difficult, but it was.

Every time he tried his mind went blank in panic and his throat felt too dry to speak, so he just turned the other way.

When the teacher told them to work on the project in pairs, he thought this could be his chance; he wasn't even sure what kind of project it was but he could ask Yunlan to work at it together.

When class ended, Wei saw Yunlan putting on his earphones and shyly approached him. He could hear the loud music from Yunlan's ears so he tapped him on the shoulder to let him know he was there.

Yunlan turned his head. "Ehi. You need something?"

Suddenly Wei found himself speechless under those eyes, and the only thing that came out of his mouth was, "What are you listening to?"

Yunlan smiled and put one of the earphones in Wei's ear so he could listen too.

For a blessed second they looked at each other while the music kept out all other noises and it was like they were alone, only the two of them in the whole school, then his friend Chu put an arm around his shoulders bringing him back to reality.
"We're teaming up as usual, right?"

Wei's heart sank, of course he would think that, they were best friends and were always in the same group.

Yunlan took his earphone back and gave him a nod before going out.
Wei sighed, he had lost his chance for now.

~~~~~

He didn't give up. He couldn't stop thinking about him so when Wei saw Yunlan outside waiting for the bus he walked closer to ask him if he needed a ride; this was a golden opportunity, so he gathered his courage and started, "Ehi Yunlan!"

Yunlan turned to him. "Ehi, you waiting for the bus too?"

"No, actually I was thinking..."

"Yunlan! Need a ride?" Came a shouting voice. Hong was their classmate, and apparently not as shy as Wei was.

Yunlan thanked her and accepted, following her to her car waving Wei goodbye.

Wei cursed inwardly.

This was just the second of his many failed attempts...

~~~~~

Once Wei entered the classroom and all his classmates were talking animatedly. One of the boys turned to him as he approached his usual desk. "Ehi Wei, do you like videogames?"

Startled, he muttered, "They're not really my thing, why..." but he couldn't finish the phrase. The guy turned to Yunlan saying, "Nope, he doesn't play videogames at all, you'll never find anyone to try that game with you, you should have bought the one I told you about, we could have played together."

Wei looked at Yunlan who appeared to be a bit disappointed, probably because nobody shared his taste in games, and he groaned in frustration. He should have asked why before answering the damn question...

That was #FailedAttemptN.9

~~~~~

The seat next to Yunlan was empty and Wei thought he'd size his chance today.

He walked over there and asked the teacher if he could sit with Yunlan because he had forgotten his textbook at home.

He felt quite proud of his plan when he was allowed to sit there, but then he noticed Yunlan's embarrassment.