Winter song contest

Shen looked out the window, it was really cold outside, it would probably start to snow soon.

He sighed, he wished he had agreed to go to Yunlan's Christmas dinner but he had been afraid of meeting his relatives, especially his parents.

Maybe his friend was oblivious to the feelings he had for him, but his mother would have understood by the way he couldn't avoid looking at him whenever he saw him that Shen was in love with her son.

He had been in love with him for so long but had never found the courage to tell him. What if he didn't feel the same things, would he lose his friendship too?

He went to the kitchen sighing again.
Had he been braver, he would at least be able to spend Christmas with him, instead of being here all alone.

He stood lost in his thoughts until he heard the doorbell. Who could it be at 6 pm on Christmas day?

As he opened the door he found himself in front of a grinning Yunlan. It had started to snow, Yunlan's jacket and hair were already covered in it.

He hurried to let him in receiving a thank you from his freezing friend.

"I was just making tea, it'll warm you up," he said, disappearing into the kitchen.

He came back with a teapot and two cups. He poured the steaming liquid for both and gestured towards the couch.

The fireplace made the place warm and cozy, and Yunlan thanked him again.

"What brings you here?" Shen asked. "I thought you'd be at your parents' tonight."

"Yeah, actually they are waiting for me," Yunlan replied. "But I still haven't had the chance to give you your gift."

He showed him a packet saying, "Merry Christmas Shen."

Wei thanked him and got up to get a small box. "This is for you," he said. "Merry Christmas Yunlan," and he sat back next to him.

"Open yours first," Yunlan said, and Wei expressed his delight in uncovering a book in a very nice hardback edition.

Yunlan was glad that he liked it, and now he opened his own. It was a watch, a very beautiful one.

"Last time we spoke on the phone you said your old one was broken, and knowing you I guessed it'd be a long time before you remembered to buy a new one."

Yunlan looked at the old broken watch still on his wrist. "You're right," he said laughing. "I only remember when I need the hour, and every time I have to check my phone."

Shen smiled pleased when Yunlan switched them, admiring the new shiny watch on his wrist.

They looked at each other for a couple of seconds, then Yunlan muttered that he had to go or his mother would yell at him if he arrived late.

They reached the door but after opening it they saw that the weather was much worse now. "You can't drive in this weather!" Shen said. "There's a storm out there, it's better if you wait for it to calm down."

Yunlan was hesitating, his mother would really be angry, but the storm was getting scary. He decided to call her to tell her he'd be late, he only regretted having to do it in front of Shen, he knew his mother well...

"What do you mean you'll be late? Everyone's here already!" she yelled on the phone.

"I'm sorry but you don't really want me to drive in this storm, do you? I could have an accident..." Yunlan tried to reason with her.

"If you stayed the whole day with us, you wouldn't be in this situation, the weather was fine earlier," she retorted.

"Sorry mom, I really couldn't." He tried to explain, horrified at the suggestion. He loved his mother deeply, but now that he was an adult and could decide for himself, he'd rather have her in small doses at a time.