XXXVIII |

Isabelle froze completely the moment Alexander said, "I confessed...".

He confessed to her? How did she completely not know about it? When was this?

Yet before she could come up with an answer for all the doubts she had in her mind, he spoke again with all seriousness.

Camila, who was watching the broadcast and commenting, miraculously quietened down.

All that could be heard in the car was the echo of Alexander's voice.

"Because I want her to know that even if everyone in the world abandons her, I would stand by her side without hesitation and fight against the world."

His tone of voice was clearly flat, yet he gave people a feeling of shock.

Having received Alexander's feelings, the stunned Isabelle couldn't help but raise her hand and cover her mouth at that one line.

"Izzy, no matter how many people say that you're no good... no matter how many lies or how much gossip surrounds you, I will always see you as my beloved princess.

"I'm so sorry that I can't share the slanders targeted at you, but I will try my very best to shield you."

His voice was slow and gentle. When he said romantic things, his expression was just as cold his usual reclusive nature, but the words still warmed her heart.

She didn't know if her pregnancy was amplifying her emotions, but tears started to suddenly fall from her eyes.

Before he left the house, he told her that he'd be busy dealing with work.

When she knew she was pregnant, she tried calling him but he didn't pick up. At the time, she felt a little sorry for not being able to immediately share the surprise with him.

In fact, she was so worried for the baby in her womb that the first thing she did was go to the hospital for a check up, asking Camila to accompany her. She had been in low spirits.

However, she never imagined that this man, who left her on her own whilst she was in the midst of the scathing online attacks, had actually stood up to protect her.

A while back, she had reassured herself 'so what if the whole world was scolding her'. But in the end, she was a Isabelle who had Alexander. At that very moment, she felt content for having someone like him, even if her reputation was ruined.

Good men don't charm you till you're disoriented, but steadily spoil you little by little.

They say deep love is not as good as long companionship, and profound love needn't an exchange of many words.

Yet Isabelle had clearly also loved him for thirteen years, but why did she feel like her love was so insignificant and not worth a mention in the face of his love.

That man... always wore an icy cold expression and wasn't talkative. If you jabbered on and on, he would only reply with responses like "Mm" or "Good". Sometimes, it would also make you feel uninterested, and involuntarily want to lash out.

But the moment this reclusive man opened his mouth to speak, his words would touch the heart.

How was Isabelle so lucky, to actually be able to find a person who was willing to stop the world for her?

-

When the interview finished, Alexander went back to the break room and grabbed his phone to see Isabelle's missed calls. Without thinking twice, he immediately called back. The phone rang a few times, and then it was picked yet it wasn't her usual gentle voice but the wailing sound of sobbing.