LXIII

The day after they returned, James went to the Williams Enterprise. With him being away for about ten days, work had piled up. He had three consecutive top management meetings in one day, and his hand was sore from signing urgent documents. In the evening, he had to do overtime, and ended up sleeping in the office.

Work was hectic for four days straight, before he could finally finish it all. It was the weekend, and yet eighty percent of his time was taken from him.

When things get busy, you deliberately stop thinking about unrelated stuff and feeling sad, but when you're free, the more you think about it, the more crushed you feel. To find something to do, James went to meet up with a client in the evening. He was at the seafood stall when he bumped into Helen, who he hadn't seen for a few days.

Whilst Rebecca was eating, she grabbed for the soy sauce, and got her hand all dirty. Helen carried her to the restroom to wash her hands.

Rebecca was really happy when she saw water. As she splashed the running water from the taps, she clapped and clapped, causing the water to spray everywhere. When some sprayed onto Helen's face, she said with a serious voice, "stop it! Mommy's going to get mad!"

Her words didn't scare Rebecca at all. She grinned from ear to ear and played around even more cheerfully. Helen simply put the girl on the sink, and pretended to turn around to leave, due to which Rebecca gaped in fear. She pitifully cried, "Mommy, I was wrong!"

"So are you going to properly wash your hands?" Helen opened both hands in front of Rebecca, and stood still on the spot.

"Yeah." Rebecca nodded like a chick pecking for rice.

Then Helen walked up to her, brought her up, and helped her to carefully wash her hands. As she grabbed some tissues to dry Rebecca's hands, she heard a voice next to her. "Elena."

When she heard James's voice, she was stunned for a while, then turned her head to find him standing calmly nearby.

With her big black eyes, Rebecca stared at him without blinking, as he looked a little familiar.

James's heart melted a little when he saw the little girl. He walked over and asked her in a soft voice, "Rebecca, do you still remember uncle?"

The little girl shook her head, then sweetly cried "Uncle" with curved brows.

Actually, James had only met her once, but seeing her again, he realized he felt just as shaken up as the first time they met. He couldn't help but reach his arms out towards the girl. "Can uncle get a hug?"

Rebecca didn't reject James. She took a quick glance at Helen first, then seeing that her mum didn't shoot her a strange look, she turned her head and said "Ok" in a crisp voice, and rushed in his arms.

James lifted Rebecca up. She was just as little and soft as before, quickly melting his heart.

He stared at Rebecca's little face about a foot away from his own. The more he stared, the more familiar she looked. He thought about it for a moment, then turned to Helen next to him and said, "Rebecca has been with you for so long now, she's starting to look a little like you."

"Really?" asked Helen jokingly in return. Her eyes never left James and Rebecca's faces.

If you counted it, this was the second time the two of them, father and daughter, had met. When she used to look after Little Bean on her own, she thought that she looked like James. But now, that she compared them side by side, she realized that Rebecca's nose really looked extremely similar to his.

Helen wasn't in a hurry to carry Rebecca away, so she just stood aside and watched as James kept on teasing the little girl. Perhaps it was because they were related by blood, Rebecca, who was always shy around strangers, seemed to be especially friendly with him, as she smiled with her eyes in his arms.