Falling

And it kills me 'cause I know we've run out of things we can say.

September 12th 2018

It's been 9 days, nine days of heartbreak for both Harry and Elizabeth. While Elizabeth was forced to go back to work after only 3 days, Harry stayed in his bed, coping with heartbreak. It was all a bit too much for Elizabeth, dealing with Harry and especially her grandmother.

"Elizabeth, could you go grab some lattes for the meeting?" One of her co-workers asked, noticing she was in an absolute funk. Elizabeth turned her head slightly, her eyes were still bloodshot, but she managed to get up and get to the coffee machine. She was more than ready to rip everyone's head off, they all seemed to be in a happy mood and smiling constantly. Elizabeth felt absolutely out of place at her work. She wanted to go home and curl up into a ball and hope that the pain would leave her body.

She still felt terrible for everything but she knew that she broke up with him for a reason and she hoped that one day that Harry would understand her reasoning. Her head was filled with a dozen of thoughts all at once so she wasn't surprised when she accidentally knocked a cup over. "For fuck's sake," She muttered, tears welling in her eyes. She realised, she only wanted Harry at that moment but she couldn't depend on him anymore.

Elizabeth looked at her phone and saw the text message she got only ten minutes ago. She desperately wanted to answer him but her head told her not too.

I need to see you. x H

Her fingers trembled above her phone, she wanted to see him too. She needed to hug him, they're goodbye nine days ago wasn't enough, not for her and not for him. So she answered him, knowing she couldn't resist not answering him.

Okay, tomorrow around two?

Elizabeth grabbed the lattes as she felt her phone buzzing. Her co-workers were already waiting for her, so instead of answering, she hurried towards the meeting room and set the coffees in front of them. She took notes during the meeting but they were practically useless as her mind was not present during the meeting.

After hours of discussing and congregating, Elizabeth finally could go home and draw a hot bath for herself. As she was about to leave, she heard a knock on her door. "Come in," She called out, her voice held more power than her body did. "Elizabeth, can I have a moment?" Her boss entered the room and Elizabeth already felt the worst was coming at her. "Yes, take a seat," Her voice trembled and she mentally slapped herself for feeling this insecure. "How are you doing?" Her boss, Mrs Brown was very up to date on the situation. She was basically one of the first people who asked Elizabeth about her relationship with Harry and she was also the first one to realise that they had broken up.

"I'm alright, under the circumstances," Elizabeth told her boss, knowing there was no need to hide that she had been feeling miserable. "I see," Mrs Brown answered, her finger delicately tracing her desk to see if there was any dust lingering on it. "I must say, Elizabeth, ever since you've been working here, your work has been outstanding."

Elizabeth softly smiled, the acknowledgement she received gave her ego a slight boost, she'd been longing some good news lately. However, it didn't help her nervousness. "But, lately you've been slacking," Mrs Brown told her, not even giving her time to respond as she continued. "And I think it has to do with the circumstances you've been in lately. Elizabeth, I think you came back to soon. It might be better for you to stay home for some time until you've figured it all out." Elizabeth felt like she had been hit by a thousand bricks at once, she felt as if she had everything under control. Sure, she had been slacking, but Mrs Brown was basically telling her to quit.

"So you're firing me?" Elizabeth asked in a disbelieving tone. She dropped her belongings she was holding onto her desk with a sigh. "No, I'm not firing you," Mrs Brown told her calmly, while Elizabeth was getting in a full-on panic mode. "I just want you to take a break from your work stuff so you can let yourself breath and cope with all the circumstances you've been under."