Chapter-1

It was supposed to be a happy day. Festival of Mehregan the harvest time and the time for visitors to bring their gifts to the king from all around the Persian Empire. last year it was a lively festival with happy faces and gifts exchanged between friends and families. But this year things are different.

Arta was sitting in her favorite spot, on the couch in her chamber's marble balcony watching the sun as it was hiding behind the mountains. Her elegant body was wrapped in a fur robe protecting her from the cool breeze that yelled the beginning of autumn. Curly brown hair was cascading down her shoulder and was dancing by the breeze creating a mesmerizing vision. Her almond-shaped amber eyes were fixed on the mountain view in front of her. She was deep in her thought and did not notice when her father entered the balcony.

"Happy Mehregan my dear." said her father softly.

Turning her head toward her father she stood up quickly and held him tightly in her arms.

"Father, when did you arrive. Happy Mehregan to you too."

Releasing himself from her arms he looked at her with his kind eyes. Arta could see a trace of concern and sadness in his tired eyes.

Kissing her forehead "let's sit for a moment" he said.

Looking at her father she understood that things are not as good as she was hoping. Her heart skipped a beat.

"Has Kian returned with you?" asked Arta with a concerned voice.

"Yes my dear, don't worry. Your brother is fine and now he is having a meeting with the generals in his office"

Letting out the breath that she was holding she asked his father "Is everything alright then?"

Looking at the mountain he let out a sigh "not really. We lost the battle in Nahavand to the Arab's army and they are getting closer to the capital. We need to prepare ourselves for their attack soon."

It hit her like a bucket of cold water. Shivering a bit she tried to conceal her feelings from her father.

"What if we lose the capital too?" She asked in a low voice.

"Let's not think about that now. I want you to leave the city and stay with your aunt in Bokhara until we get over this situation. I know she will be happy to have you there"

Standing to protest "No. I will not leave and flee to Bokhara like a coward. I will fight them and be a part of the army to protect our Empire fro..."

"Listen to me Arta." He interrupted her with a louder and using a more authoritative tone.

He continued "We have lost more than half of our army and they are three times bigger and more powerful. I need to send you off to a safe place so that I don't need to worry about you."

Looking at her father a tear dropped from her eye and he grabbed her wrist gently pulling her to sit down again.

"Don't do this to me father. I cannot leave you. I can fight and be helpful. You don't need to worry about me. Don't send me off." Looking into his father's eyes she was trying to convince him.

She continued "What would people say if they notice that I have escaped? They will lose their faith in us"

Silence came over them as she was looking into her father's eyes, the king of Persia. Running away and abandoning their citizens has never been their way of ruling. But things are different now. Persian army has become weak in recent years due to the political conflicts in the court and people's dissatisfaction because of the high taxes that the war has imposed on them. She knew that her father was a peaceful king. He was a good ruler and genuinely concerned for his people, but he was not a warrior. During his reign, he tried so hard to avoid any confliction but this time their enemy from the neighbor country was so stubborn and full of hatred.