Chapter-2

It was almost dark when Arta came back to her chamber. Everything seemed so unreal. Deep in her thoughts, she sat on the bed. A lot of things were in her mind. What will happen to her father and brother if they lose this battle? What will happen to the people? A shiver ran down her spine only thinking about the horrific stories that she had heard about the cruelty of their enemy.

"even thinking about losing the capital is ridiculous" she whispered to herself while shaking her head to free herself from the bad thoughts.

Arta was not a very religious person but at that moment the only thing that she felt she needed was to go to the fire temple and pray. She grabbed her Avesta from the drawer of her desk and went toward the fire temple.

Although it was midnight the palace looked fully awake as the soldiers and guards were getting prepared for tomorrow.

At the royal temple, the sacred flame was burning within a golden vessel. The hall was huge with several high pillars. The floor was made of polished limestone that reflects the ceiling.

The royal temple was empty except for the priests that were acting weird. Approaching one of the Mobeds Arta asked "What is going on?"

Bowing slightly the Mobed replied "We are sending the sacred fire to different places in the country and also outside of Persia"

Arta's stomach lurched at his answer. Although she knew the reason behind their actions, she asked "Why?"

The Mobed looked uneasy and he was looking everywhere but at Arta. "It's just a precaution Shahzadeh." Looking at the firebox in his hand he hastily bowed again and left Arta before she could ask further questions.

Arta stood there for a few more seconds watching the priests as they were carrying fireboxes out of the temple. She knew that if their Muslim enemy reaches the capital, they will destroy all the temples and set the fires off, as they did to the other cities on their way to the capital. "Even the priests think that we'll lose this battle, how pathetic." She sighed and approached the fire alter.

Sitting in front of the alter she tried to read some verses from the Avesta. Her mind was anywhere but on the holy book. After a few attempts, she put the Avesta aside and stared at the fire. The fire was reflecting in her amber eyes and her eyes filled with tears. Whispering to herself "God please help us to protect our land from these devils. Protect my family and people." After a few minutes of whispering and sobbing, she felt the heaviness on her chest has been lifted a bit.

Her eyes were burning, and she suddenly felt so exhausted. Filling more relaxed she slowly walked out of the temple. Reaching to her room she threw herself on her bed and after a few minutes, she fell asleep.

***

Osman was walking around the tents in their camp, his two most trusted men were accompanying him. It was still dark but everyone was getting ready for the Fajr prayer.

"How long do you think we should wait for the Persians to make the first move?" Asked Samir.

Osman shrugged "It shouldn't take long. We must be prepared."

"This will be our biggest conquer Insha-Allah, the heart of the Persian empire." Said Ahmad cheerily.

Osman nodded and they continued their inspection while stopping here and there talking to the soldiers.

They all knew that the legendary Persian army is no more undefeatable. After defeating them in several battles they believed that they will be victorious this time as well. Despite the Persian army soldiers, their enemy's soldiers didn't have the slightest doubt about their victory.