Chapter 6

Patton:

I wake up early the next morning. I decide to get started on the cookies.

When I come downstairs I find Virgil on the couch, watching the TV.

"What are you doing up, kiddo?" He jumps.

"I couldn't sleep," he says, "Are we gonna make cookies now?"

"Yeah, I guess so." I reply.

He follows me into the kitchen, Virgil gathers the ingredients. I open the first package of cookie dough.

"This first batch is just to keep Roman from eating any of the others," I say.

Virgil laughs, "Really?"

"Yeah, it's the best solution I could think of."

     "Oh I was gonna ask you yesterday, what kind of cookies do Deceit and Remus like?"

     "Dee likes chocolate chip, and Remus will eat anything, maybe frost some with melted deodorant or something if you really wanna make em special."

     I laugh, "Will do."

     I smile, this is gonna be fun.

Virgil:

     After a few hours, we've got all the batches ready to be placed in the oven, and two batches done.

     "Whew," Patton says as he sits down, "Now all we have to do is wait."

     "That's all, we're done?" I ask.

     "Well, after the cookies are done I was thinking about making some peanut clusters, and maybe some fudge."

     "Sounds good," I say.

     "Yeah, we're gonna have to hide the fudge to keep Roman out of them."

     I laugh, "Is this a regular problem?"

     "Every time I bake."

"That must get frustrating," I comment.

"Not really, it's just not good for him to eat as many as he will if left unchecked."

     The oven dings, "that's another batch done!" Patton laughs.

     "These are the gingerbread people, so after they cool down we get to decorate them."

"Ooh," this is my favorite part.

"You wanna see if Ro and Lo wanna help?"

"Yeah, alright." I go get Roman and Logan.

*****

"Roman, What are you doing?" I ask.

     "Trying to get my knight's helmet just right," he answers as he maneuvers the frosting tube around his cookie.

     By now he has a small army of gingerbread knights, all of them slightly different, but still, "Why don't you make something other than knights?" I ask.

     "Because I don't want to make something other than knights, Emo Nightmare."

     "Virgil, let Roman decorate his cookies however he wants," Patton chastises.

     I turn my attention back to my own cookies, I've made all of mine look pretty hardcore, one even has a lip piercing.

     I look over to Logan's, they're all wearing suits of different styles and colors, "those look really good, Lo," I say.

     He smiles, "I wanted them to look distinguished."

     Patton's cookies look like us, he's made a little version of each of us, even Deceit and Remus. Then he makes some that look like Thomas.

     We have so many cookies between the four of us that they take up the entire table.

After we've finished, Patton suggests we watch a Christmas movie.

"What movie should we watch?" Roman asks.

"How about, How the Grinch Stole Christmas?" Patton suggests.

"Ooh, that's a good one!" Roman says.

"An adequate choice," Logan says.

"Unopposed," I say, when Patton looks to me.

"Great!" Roman says as he puts the disc in.

Roman:
     We spend the rest of the day watching movies, stopping to eat dinner and then going right back to the movies.

     At around nine thirty Logan heads to bed, followed soon after by a groggy Patton. Leaving me and Virgil alone.

     After Home Alone is over I  stand up and turn off the TV, "I think we should get to bed, Virgil," I say.

     "Ngh..." he groans, "I don't wanna get up," he mumbles.

     "It's late, Virgil. Are you planning to sleep on the couch?"

     "No..." he mumbles.

     "Then, come on." I say.

     "Ugh..." he gets up and stumbles toward the stairs.

     "Goodnight!" I call to him.

     "G'night," I barely hear before he's shuffling up the stairs.

     I chuckle, he's like a little kid when he's tired.

I head up to bed, before I fall asleep I think about what it's going to be like spending Christmas with Remus.

I shudder, the thought is unpleasant. But if it makes Virgil happy...it's just something I'll have to do.