Chapter 10 - We're Only Animals

Later that night...

Louis was laying on the side of the fountain. He was just looking at the sky and thinking it was a shame that the light pollution was hiding most of them from view.

Legosi had been planning to come to the fountain that night ever since Louis had said to do whatever he wanted. This is what he wanted.

He stalked closer to it and saw the familiar form of the deer. Louis was lying down tonight...Legosi wondered if he'd be inside the fountain next time. It made him smile a bit thinking about it.

Legosi walked over, making enough noise as to not startle his senior when he sat down next to his head, just an inch or so away from where his antlers ended.

"You came. I had a feeling you would." The buck's tray was on his stomach. "Just can't stay away," Louis joked.

Legosi chuckled softly. It was only the third time, and the second time wasn't pleasant, but he could already tell that these moments between them were special. He got Louis all to himself for just a little bit of the day. That white rabbit might have his heart, but she couldn't take these moments away from him...

He opened the box he brought with him, taking out a peanut butter bar and biting into it, chewing softly. "I brought something to eat, if you wanna try..." He said, mouth still slightly full.

"I'm okay." Louis hadn't touched his food.

"Oh, okay." Legosi sounded a bit disappointed. "I guess deer might not like peanut butter as much as canines do. My friend Jack made these." He put the rest of the bar in his mouth.

He looked down, noticing Louis looking up, so he looked up too. "The night sky looks beautiful, huh?"

"It could be more beautiful," Louis said, blankly.

"Does it upset you?"

"Yeah."

"Have you ever seen it clearer than this?"

"No. Sometimes I only see one star up there and find it a cruel metaphor."

"Well, it's probably a planet then..." Legosi quickly moved along, not wanting the deer to think he was insulting his intelligence or something. "Oh, back where I used to live, the sky would get pretty clear at night."

Louis sighed. "Cool."

"I'm sure you'll see a clear sky one day." He set the box of treats down on the ground, and slid himself up on the concrete, laying down just as Louis was, his head next to his. His ears lightly brushed his antlers. "Are you okay, Louis-senpai?"

"Sure."

Legosi sighed. He knew that wasn't true, but he wasn't going to get it out of him easily. He decided instead to speak his mind. "Thanks...for not being afraid of me..."

"I can't afford that." He brought his legs up so his knees were bent, staying on his back.

"Afford what? Being afraid?" Legosi blinked at the sky.

"Yeah."

"Well, it makes me feel good about myself..." Legosi bit his lip and fumbled with his claws. He couldn't get a peep out of the deer...

"The way I see it, we're only animals. There's no carnivore or herbivore. But instincts and society make that very tough to stand by. We can't just be animals unfortunately. Even so, you're just an animal to me. Even if you are a carnivore."

Legosi smiled. "It'd be nice if more animals could see the world like that..." Louis and Tem were the only herbivores that ever regarded him without fear...and look what happened to Tem...