Chapter 79 - The Beginning of the Plan

Legosi ended the call, and his expression turned to sadness, letting out a long breath.

    "I know. Thank goodness he didn't hear you before," Louis huffed.

    The wolf closed his eyes. "He's old, and a lizard. His hearing isn't the best."

    "You know how worried he'd be?"

    Legosi could only nod. "We need to work quickly...but as Pina said, we don't have a clear next step."

    "Hmm...what to do..." He adjusted his eyepatch on the seat. "I guess we should find out what the suspects were doing when the death happened."

    "Yeah, but that's easier said than done. Plus, we need to wait for them all to return."

    "So what do we do?"

    Legosi shrugged. "I guess we ask the animals we trust most. I want to ask Juno as soon as I see her. I know it's probably not her, but it'll be good to completely clear her. From her, we can get to Shiira."

    "Wait, you think we should just...ask?"

    The wolf blinked. "...Yeah?"

    "That's a terrible idea, Legosi!"

    He stood up straighter. "W-well, how should we do it, then?"

    "If the killer finds out we're onto them, don't you think they'd come after us?"

    "Yes."

    "Then!"

    "But how else?"

    "Maybe classic detective skills. Ask them stuff and remember important information."

    Suddenly, the bathroom door flung open, revealing a dall sheep. He pointed at the surprised pair, who jumped and yelped. "SOCIAL MEDIA! We find all the accounts these carnivores have and look at timestamps. We might need Kai's help finding them all, though. He seems to like to collect this sort of info."

    "Alright. But he's not back yet," Louis responded, still recovering from the shock.

    "Right, and talking about it in person would be the safest bet. We should all convene once classes start again. Louis, we may need to find a new meeting place so your house isn't compromised."

    "Like where?"

    "Neutral ground," was the sheep's reply.

    Legosi flinched. What's this intense aura again?

    "Again, where?" Louis asked.

    Pina snapped his fingers. "To be decided!"

    "That will be your job. We should all have jobs."

    "Hm, hmm!" the sheep nodded.

    The wolf raised his hand, needlessly. "I can listen in on animals if needed. I'm good at being unnoticed."

    "I guess I can do direct interaction," the deer spoke.

    Pina laughed. "You're not invincible just because you have a gun, you know!"

    "I know that! I just think I'm better with words than you guys are, especially Legosi and Bill."

    The canine thought back to when Louis tried to be inconspicuous at the sex shop and lowered his ears.

    The sheep considered his words. "Well, you are a good actor, so that makes sense." He looked back over his shoulder to Bill, who was just lounging on the couch. "Bill's the muscle, I guess."