chapter nine

~ = chapter nine = ~

As Stephen told them about his nightmare, they listened intently, often comforting him from here and there when his voice cracks. 

 It was hard for Stephen to show them his vulnerability because he's usually the strong guy of the group, never broken or fallen. He's like a pillar. But now he's the complete opposite. Hosuh and Daniel knew that about Stephen - it's a bit overwhelming for them. 

 When Stephen finished, the three completely understood the reason why Stephen's so sad and tense, a terrified glint on his eyes. Though it was just a nightmare, it was realistic, detailed, more reason why he feels like it will really happen. 

Hosuh sat down next to Stephen, saying, "you know, when we were kids, I always get nightmares about us three drifting apart, or me dying, and much worse. I remember the next day, you two would comfort me and try to make me smile. You guys were always there for me, to heal me, make me feel happy." He grinned at Stephen. "That's the reason why I wanted to be a healer, I wanted to return the favor of your guys always there to heal me. I want to be the person you rely to when you're hurt. So please Stephen, don't be afraid to spill your guts out, okay?" 

Stephen chuckled, sniffling. He nodded.  

Daniel also sat beside Stephen, gently slapping him on the back, as if to say 'you're strong, so get over it' without any words at all. "I don't really get nightmares, but when I do, it's really hard for me to sleep the whole night. I have to sleep next to my parents. And then in the morning, I would have a bad mood." 

 Hosuh gasped and pointed at Daniel. "Oh, yeah! I remember when Daniel was so spaced out he tripped on a pebble and spilled his ice cream all over his shirt and got so mad he blamed Stephen for making him trip!" 

 Ann laughed. "Did that really happen? Gosh. . .""Yeah, it did," Stephen told Ann, teasingly glaring at the flushed Daniel. "He told me maybe it's a bad omen because of me. Hosuh was laughing the whole time." 

 "Yeah, yeah, whatever." Daniel couldn't help but laugh along with them. "Then after that, I told you guys what happened and you two were quick to comfort me - a bit of teasing from Stephen at first, of course - and made me laugh. I was never afraid of my nightmares after that. I think it was then I knew I wanted to protect the most precious people who makes me feel happy. So here I am now, a warrior fresh out of training." 

"Not really a warrior yet, though," Stephen sang. 

 "Shut up." 

 Ann huffed and sat down in front of them, arms crossed. "Well, since you all are confessing your backstories, might as well do the same, right?" The three nodded eagerly, it was one way to get to know Ann better. "You see, my family lacks resources so my brother and I resorted to being thieves. But I swore to myself I'd never actually hurt someone in anyway unless needed. My brother would often give me stuff, like this dagger." She twirled her dagger around expertly and flicked her wrist so the dagger flew back to her purse. "It's my lucky charm." 

 The three boys looked at each other and stared back at Ann in shock and awe. A skilled rogue as an ally is definitely handy. 

 Daniel, Hosuh, and Ann glanced at Stephen in unison, staring at him expectantly, eyes glinting mischievousness. Stephen groaned, burying his face on his hands. 

 "Do I really have to. . .?" Stephen whined. 

 "Yes!" 

 "Fine, whatever." He took a deep breath. "I never actually had a nightmare this bad before. Usually it's just vegetables and unicorns and cute stuff chasing me until I wake up. But it's still as scary so I just curl up in my blankets and force myself to sleep. Usually, the next day, I'd be cranky or traumatized of greens and Hosuh-" 

 "Wha-" 

 "-and if I don't feel better. I just like to take control over something, feel power, you know?" 

 The three shook their heads. They don't know."Sometimes, gaining power or at least satisfaction makes me calm down. Or I just take my anger out on Daniel, I do that most, anyway. It's my favorite option. And back then, my mom used to sculpt some zombies out of clay as my dad told me stories because he was also a necromancer. I became obsessed with reanimation and honestly? I still am. So here I am now." 

 "I like how us three have a good reason for choosing our class, and Stephen is just a fanboy of zombies," Hosuh chuckled out, earning a playful shove from Stephen who was grumbling under his breath. 

 "Zombies are. . .cool, okay?"Daniel flicked Stephen's nose. "You know, your nightmare is stupid, okay? All of us are strong in our own ways so there will be no way that we will end up in that situation. Just trust us and we'll be fine, alright?" 

 "Yeah, yeah, let's just get on the mission now that everything is over."

~ = ~

~ = this chapter is written by sorrowful_soul = ~