{Chapter 2} For A Second Time

"Why have you brought a WindClan cat here Salmonpool?" Streamstar looked her warrior in his eyes. The tom dipped his head. "I found him on our territory, he says he has a message." Eagletalon nodded, flicking his tail that had a small cut on it now. "Very well. I will have Hornetherb see to your tail first." As if summoned by the mention of his name the medicine cat padded out of his den. Hornetherb nudged Eagletalon into his den. "You stay here, I'll be back with some prey for you." Eagletalon watched as the medicine cat exited the den. Alone for a moment, he decided to clean himself a bit. Hornetherb came back with a plump vole in his jaws. He set it down at Eagletalon's paws. "Here." The medicine cat purred. Eagletalon dipped his head thankfully before taking swift bites of the vole until only bones remained. He swiped his tongue over his muzzle before laying his tail on the ground. He felt the other tom place a chewed up herb in the wound before putting cobwebs over it. "You look tired, would you like to rest for a little? I can always go inform Streamstar." Eagletalon nodded, curling up with his tail over his muzzle.

By the time he lifted his head he could barely make out the shape of the sleeping medicine cat beside him. Eagletalon stood up, stretching. He yawned before padding out of the den and towards the fresh-kill pile. He picked up a trout before going back into the medicine den. He settled back down in the makeshift nest of grass clumps. Eagletalon quickly at the piece of prey and looked around. He could see the first few strokes of dawn appearing in the sky. He shivered as a cold breeze swept into the den, he had almost forgotten it was leaf-bare.

A paw poked at Eagletalon's side, tearing him away from his thoughts. "Streamstar wants to speak to you now." Eagletalon looked up and recognized Salmonpool. He gave a quick nod before laying his chest a few licks. He followed the dark ginger and white tom towards the leader's den. Eagletalon noticed that he sat down outside the den, waiting for him to go inside. The exiled tom padded into the leader's den. "What is it you wanted to tell me?" The leader asked. Eagletalon looked down at his paws. "WindClan is planning on attacking ThunderClan at sunhigh tomorrow, we know how much territory you want. We would gladly share half of our new territory." Streamstar narrowed her eyes. "WindClan has already told me, you must be here just for the free prey." Eagletalon shook his head. "If that is how you feel I will go." Was he lying? Yes. Did he care? No. Streamstar stalked out of her den, flicking her tail in a signal to follow.

Eagletalon was now weaving through trees, trying to get away from the two RiverClan warriors. He could see a twoleg next in the distance and started to speed up. Being a former WindClan warrior meant he was swift with his movements. He climbed over the fence, realizing the warriors had stopped chasing him once they realized where he was headed. Eagletalon felt his paws give way beneath him, collapsing in the frosty grass. He saw his vision care to black before he felt nothing.