{Chapter 4} New Name

Eagletalon dropped his rabbit in the fresh-kill pile. Only the first strokes of dawn lit up the sky, he had been hunting all night. He turned back towards the nest all three of them shared, only two sleeping bodies. Eagletalon padded back outside the barn, a small WindClan border patrol in the distance. He quickly realized the shapes of his mom, dad, sister, and brother. He called their names, standing on the fence that surrounded the barn. The four shapes bounded towards him. They stopped right below the fence. "Eagletalon?! You're alive!" Sweetwhisker, His mother, purred happily. Eagletalon leaped down to meet the skinny WindClan cats. "How are you so well fed?" Sweetwhisker asked him, examining her son. The exiled tom signalled for them to follow as he leaped over the fence and padded into the barn. Spiderkit, His brother, His lol notice of the other tom-cats. "Who are those?" Eagletalon looked down at him. "They're like my den mates. The white one with stripes on his tail is Winter and the other one is Bear." Bear lifted his head at the mention of his name. "Wha- Who are they Eagletalon?" They tom flicked his tail over Winter's ears to wake him. " They're just my family. " Winter shook himself after he stood up. "Why are they here?" Snakekit flattened her ears. " RiverClan attacked us. "  Bear nodded a little at the she-kit before grabbing the mice. He dropped one in front of the kits and one in front of each of their parents. Bear then grabbed an owl, signalling for Winter and Eagletalon to join him. Winter gladly took the offer and began eating while Eagletalon hesitated a little. The exiled tom-cat took a few bites, leaving most of the food for the other tom-cats.

The sun was now high in the sky, the guest cats had curled up in a corner. Spiderkit was the only one awake and was practicing his hunting crouch. Winter was trying to correct Spiderkit when he got something wrong. Eagletalon jumped when he felt a tail brush his shoulder. "What's wrong Eagletalon?" Bear asked, sitting down next to him. "Nothing, don't worry about me." Eagletalon flicked his ears back.
"You can call me Eagle now."