VII.

❧

Empty chinese take out boxes covered the sofa table. A man and a woman sat crossed legged on the floor, each on their own side of said table. The man had a faraway but still very concentrated look in his eyes, like he was listening to something. The woman observed him in a comfortable silence, while subconsciously petting the belly of the cat that laid on its back in her lap. "Matt, were you always blind?" Arabella's voice was soft, much like that of a curious child.

"No, I was in an accident when I was a kid." Matt's unfocused gaze shifted from the floor and to her face as he smiled softly at her. Arabella didn't know what to do with his answer. She couldn't imagine having her sight just taken away from her like that. "Oh.."

Silence fell upon them once again before she broke it shortly after. "–Is it just black?" Her vague question made Matt huff humoured by her. It was like she almost couldn't get herself to ask him because she knew it wasn't exactly polite and that he'd probably been asked a million times before, but she just simply couldn't stop herself because the curiosity was too strong. And he didn't mind telling her.

"No, I see in other ways. Sound, smell, feel, taste, all of the fragments form a sort of impressionistic painting." Matt explained. Arabella nodded before realising that Matt couldn't see that anyways. "Okay, but what does that look like? Like, what do you actually see?"

"Mostly reds, oranges, yellows and blacks." Matt furrowed his brows like he was struggling to explain it to her. "So, like a blurry autumn forest?" Arabella closed her eyes and tried to imagine.

"More like a world on fire." The look on Matt's face had Arabella wondering wether she had overstepped by asking him all these things. But Matt probably heard her tense up, cause he quickly wiped the tense look off of his face and put on a charming lopsided grin instead. "It's funny. Sometimes I still see in my dreams. It's limited of course to what I remember from back then, but.."

"It's sounds kind of bitter sweet to me.." Arabella was happy in that second that Matt couldn't see the sad smile on her face. She had the feeling that he wasn't exactly a guy who liked to be pitied.

Matt smiled as an involuntary yawn escaped Arabella's lips and she tried to hide it. "I put fresh sheets on the bed for you." He said nodding his head in the general direction of the bedroom.

"Oh. That's so nice of you. I'll be fine on the couch though." Matt wanted to protest but Arabella cut him off before he even opened his mouth. "–You already provided me with a place to stay. I won't steal your bed too. Please Matt, I'll be fine on the couch."

"You do know you're trying to argue with a lawyer?" The cocky grin that found Matt's lips made Arabella smirk. He thought she was arguing and not just politely stating that he was sleeping in the bed, how cute. "Well what can I say, your case is weak Murdock."

"From what I understand about my living room, the bright neon sign outside its windows says otherwise." Matt said lifting an eyebrow. Arabella looked out the window. She actually hadn't really noticed it before, but now that she did, it was quite pretty how the sign subtly lit up his apartment in different blush colours. "I could sleep through July 4th if I wanted." Arabella shrugged out of habit.