NUDES

When Veronica had said 'oh, Betty, we never hang out anymore' in a dramatic tone, as though Betty was going off to war, Betty had frowned.

"Well, of course, we do, Veronica," Betty said, "We're hanging out right now," She said, motioning to the smoothie bar where they were taking a quick lunch break, "And we're set to hang out tomorrow to find Archie a Valentine's Day Gift from you."

The upcoming cutesy pink holiday had been on Betty's mind of late, unsurprisingly. Did she get Jughead something? Did they even acknowledge it? Would he find it weird if she got him something low-key, like a two-liter of his favorite soda?

"I mean we haven't actually studied together or been to each other's houses in forever," Veronica said.

Betty blinked; that was actually true. The last time she'd been to Veronica's was perhaps the Halloween Party, and the last time she'd been to Betty's apartment was even longer. They saw each other, of course, but maybe there was a difference. Was she growing apart from Veronica because of Jughead? And she didn't want this thing with Jughead to change everything, and she loved Veronica despite her boisterous personality...

So what more could Betty say than, "Well, then let's have a study session tonight?"

"Oh, fantastic! It will have to be at yours of course," Veronica said and Betty choked on her straw.

"Why?"

"I'm getting new carpets put into mine. I have to vacate the premises for a week." She said.

"Erm," Betty was never going to turn away someone in need, "I mean, my bed or the futon is..." She winced, thinking she might need to deep clean that futon before tomorrow.

"I have a place to stay, Archie's," Veronica said smoothly, "But you can really only take so much testosterone before you need a break."

"Right. Sure. Well, we'll study and have a good time, then." Betty said, feeling much more relaxed about everything, "You also could have just...said something."

"I don't like intruding," Veronica said, frowning, "It's not proper."

"I'm your best friend. Screw propriety."

"I hope maybe I can convince you to screw other things," Veronica said, nudging her meaningfully.

"V."

"Have you called that boy yet?"

Betty pursed her lips. In reality, the phone number was torn into little shreds at the bottom of her wastepaper basket.

"We just didn't really click over text." She lied.

"Oh. Well," Veronica said, only momentarily upset, "I'm sure I'll find you someone else."

XXxxXX

When Betty arrived back in the apartment, before Veronica was set to arrive, she noticed that Jughead's torn and patched shoulder bag was sitting by the door of the apartment.

"Jug?" She called cautiously, curiously.

"Oh, hey," Jughead said, coming from the bathroom and shoving his toiletries into the bag.

"You...going somewhere?"

He pulled a face, "My 'rents are trying to patch things up. Going on a weekend get-away. Guess who has two thumbs and has to come home to mind JB? This guy," He said, pointing back at himself with an expression of utmost disinterest.

"Isn't she sixteen?"

"Yeah, but she doesn't have her license yet and my dad's all worried and it's just been this big...thing," He expressed the best he could still stony-faced.