RISKY LOCATION

When Veronica texted Betty that she wanted the four to meet up for brunch, she knew something was up. Jughead had exactly the same reaction. As she spun her phone for him, seconds before Veronica texted him herself, he chuckled.

"Should we be afraid?" Jughead asked, crossing his arms.

"It could just be brunch," Betty offered up weakly.

"Yes, and Veronica Lodge might also one day wear clothes from Walmart. It's possible but very unlikely." Jughead pointed out, "When has she not made some grand set-up with food?"

"Are we going to find an excuse?" Betty asked tiredly, rubbing her eyes. The lack of AC in the apartment was killing her. The idea of putting on public-ready clothes was an undertaking at the moment, and frankly, she could go without this meal. Jughead huffed, as though offended she'd even ask that.

"Hell no. She's paying. I don't turn down free food."

So, despite both of their knowledge, they went to brunch.

For most of it, Veronica acted as though there wasn't a precedent with her calling the four of them together over scrambled eggs and french toast. She talked about next year's classes, about how her mother wasn't added in a Twitter chain started by Cher (apparently, this was a slight against her, though Betty wouldn't have known), and raved about how good Archie was on the football team.

"We're all getting season tickets for this upcoming season," She said earnestly, "And I expect nothing less than full fan attire every game day."

"Can I be drunk for the games?" Jughead asked, who Betty knew hated sports. He tolerated them around Archie, but Betty was pretty sure she knew more than her boyfriend did.

"As long as you're in purple from head to toe, and can cheer still, I'll pay for it if it gets you there. Archikins needs all of our support, isn't that right?"

"It would be awesome to have you all there. I'm starting next season," Archie said, his smile wide and simple. If there was an ulterior motive to this brunch, he sure as hell wasn't aware of it.

As their meals started winding down, Betty and Jughead shared a glance between them. Maybe this entire meal was just a get-together between four friends? Veronica, though sometimes over the top, was always a good companion. It seemed impossible, but they were all busier during the summer than during the year, and Betty realized it had been a few weeks since she'd seen Veronica. In fact, the last time she had was when Veronica had dropped off those handcuffs.

She wrote a quiet note on her phone, reminding herself to return those to her. It wasn't something Betty wanted to keep around.

"Jughead?" Veronica finally purred. Betty straightened her back in anticipation, bracing herself for the reveal of this. It was her tone. It was the tone she used whenever she was plotting something. Betty was selfishly glad it wasn't directed at her, though she was curious as to why Jughead was the person in question.

"Oh, great."

"What?" Veronica asked innocently.

"Nothing, nothing," Jughead waved a hand, "Finish your question."

Veronica looked momentarily put-off for a second before she recovered. She leaned in with a smile curling on her lips.

"Question; am I your Merryweather or Verna Felton?"

Betty raised an eyebrow at Veronica. She looked at Archie, who was scratching her head, then back at Veronica who was brimming ear to ear, and then finally at Jughead- who the question was prompted to- who was looking at Veronica like she'd grown six heads.