CHOCOLATE

In the days following his return from his hometown, Betty could tell he was greatly bothered by whatever had happened with his family there, though he was all too reticent to say anything at all. He wasn't talking to Archie about it either, who was his usual go-to, and Betty had weirdly mixed feelings. She wasn't sure whether she should be glad that he was talking to no one, because it meant he didn't specifically not want to tell her, or if she should wish he was talking to anyone, even if it wasn't her.

Either way, she just wanted to help him, but god she didn't know how to.

Valentine's Day came and went with little fanfare between the pair of roommates. Betty bought a bag of conversation hearts and put them in a bowl in the kitchen, Jughead ate nearly all of them before noon. That was about the extent of their acknowledgment of said holiday, and neither got each other a gift, though some part of Betty itched to.

She found her fingers running along the length of her necklace chain far more often than she'd anticipated she would. Within a few months, it had become a staple in her daily wardrobe. She wore it partially because she did love her niece and nephew and it was a good way to keep them close, but also because it was given to her by Jughead. If he noticed her increased wearing of it, he didn't mention it at all.

Betty knew that she felt as though something had changed over that phone call, though she couldn't pinpoint what. She'd spent many hours with her mind wandering, trying to figure out what exactly it was, though she always came up unsatisfied with the meager things she found.

Her other biggest concern? Veronica, who now knew the 'secret'. Or, the 'non-secret'.

"You won't tell Archie, right? If Jug wants to tell him...he should."

Veronica had pouted, "It's going to kill me to keep this to myself, B! This is grade-A news!"

"I'm sure you'll live," Betty had said, not quite liking Veronica's gossip habit, especially when she was the subject.

"Fine. I won't mention it to Archie. If he notices something..." Veronica shrugged, "You know I have a shit poker face."

"Do you two talk about us often?" Betty said, a bell of laughter rising in her throat at the absurdity of the idea.

"Oh, here and there," Veronica responded, completely serious.

"Wait, what? Like about what sort of stuff?"

"Nothing terrible," Veronica was quick to assure her in a gentle tone, "Probably the same way you and Jughead talk about the two of us."

Betty, who realized she had the passing comment about Veronica and Archie with Jug, had to concede that she was probably talked about. It was probably good things, or maybe minor annoyances. She doubted her best friend was conspiring or saying nasty things behind her back.

"Oh. Well, just don't tell him!"

"On my best honor," Veronica swore, "But B...two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead. Three people now know."

"That's reassuring."

"I'm just stating," Veronica said in a very matter-of-fact tone, "The truth always comes out. It's inevitable. Perhaps you should encourage your boy wonder to tell our favorite All-American before he's blindsided." 'Like I was' were the words being left out, and Betty was glad she didn't say them.

"I'll consider it," Betty said, a part of her scared that the more people they told, the closer it would bring them to something...and she was confused about what that something was or what it would mean for her.

Avoidance was really the best choice.

XXxxXX

It was late, a few days after Valentine's Day, when Betty's phone pinged.