Chapter Twenty-two

I'm dreading class on Tuesday as I brush my hair out and pull on my Doc Martens. I gather my hair into a high ponytail, putting on my gold hoops with it. I spend an hour getting ready, making sure my hair and makeup are perfect. If I have to face him, I'm at least going to look damn good doing it.

I look myself over in the mirror. Maybe rolling my uniform skirt up once wouldn't hurt. I pull it up, exposing my legs, the boots making them look longer than they are. Better.

"You look hot," Char says, walking beside me in the hallway to last period

"Why thank you," I tell her. "I was feeling in a little bit of a rut so I decided to dress myself up."

"I respect that," she says. "I need your opinion on dresses for this weekend," she says, pulling out her phone.

As we walk to French, I look through the dress pictures she shows me, trying to distract myself from seeing Adrian.

We walk into the classroom, and I'm instantly aware of his presence.

"Mmmm, I like the lilac one or the pink best. They fit your personality best, I feel like."

"You think?" she asks. "I was thinking like maybe a little black dress would be hot though."

I take my seat beside her. "That's true. I also feel like every girl will be wearing all black though, you know? You should stand out." I smile at her.

"I like that idea, thanks." She looks behind us. "Where's Amanda?"

"That's a good question." I send her a text asking where she is.

"Alright, class. Time to start, quiet down please," Adrian starts speaking in French, and I avoid his gaze at all costs. While his back is to the class, I sneak a look at him. His shirt is wrinkled and barely tucked into his pants. His hair is disheveled and he looks generally not very put together. Long night with his blonde friend I see. I try to fight off images of him and her in bed together.

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. That must be Amanda. I pull it out to peek at it and see her message.

--sorry, too hungover from last night. Can't make it out of bed.

"Lucy."

My head snaps up. Fuck.

"No phones in class, hand it over," Adrian says, walking over to me.

"Seriously?" I say before I can stop myself. I feel the whole class looking at me.

"Seriously. Give it, now," he says, his tone harsh.

I shake my head and hand it to him. So this is how it's going to go from now on. Great.

My anger and frustration consume my thoughts for the rest of class. By the time the bell rings, I have come up with a million ways to yell at him. For this and for everything else.

"Meet you outside?" Char says in a small voice, looking between me and Adrian's angry expressions.

I muster up a smile, "Yeah, I'll see you out there."

As she walks away, I take a deep breath, urging myself to just take the phone and say nothing. No discussion, no arguing, just take it and leave.

I stand up and walk to the front of the room, composing myself. "Can I please have my phone back?" I say quietly, looking at Adrian.

I don't think he was expecting me to be nice because a look of confusion flickers across his face.

"You know you aren't allowed to have phones in class, Lucy." His tone is still angry.