Chapter Twenty-Seven

The next couple days, I pour myself into my school and into working out to avoid thinking about him.

I make a point not to show up for French, and plead with the front office to let me switch classes. Before I know it, Sunday is here we're getting ready for the dance.

"I heard Adrian is chaperoning the formal you know," Char says excitedly. "It's like a first-year teacher punishment type of thing." I feel an ache at the mention of his name but I ignore it.

"AKA we all have to look incredible," Lilly chimes in, admiring herself in the mirror.

Amanda looks at me and raises her eyebrows. I force a smile and go back to sweeping bronzer across my cheeks.

"Could someone get the back of my hair?" Annie says, waving her straightening iron around precariously.

"Here, give me that. It's a weapon in your hands, my dear," I tell her, taking the straightener and pulling it through her light brown curls. "I don't get why you're straightening it though. You have like perfect doll hair," I say, admiring her perfect spiral curls.

"Please, I would do anything for your straight hair," she sighs.

"That's funny because I would do anything for your curls," I reply, smirking at her in the mirror.

"Retweet!" Amanda says. "Your curls are perfect. Hence why we're all curling our hair."

"Eh, I prefer straight," Lilly sneers, combing her fingers through her platinum blonde, pin straight hair.

Char looks at me and tries not to laugh.

"To each his own," I say, hiding a smirk.

"Guys, we should probably hurry up," Char comments, looking at her phone. "Nate just texted me that Liza and them are already at Jake's."

"Shit, okay. Tell them we will be there in thirty minutes," I say, zipping my makeup bag.

"Eh, who cares, we are the party anyways if we're being honest," Amanda remarked, even though she's been ready for twenty minutes. For all her quirks and craziness, Amanda is the most punctual person I've ever met.

Twenty minutes go by, and we're all scrambling to put shoes on and grab purses.

"Guys, the Uber is five minutes away," Char says.

"Okay, let's go out front then." I pick up a green prescription pill bottle. "Is this someone's?" I ask, reading the label along the bottom.

"That would be me! I swiped them from my mom's cabinet for this very special occasion." Amanda states proudly as I read the name Patricia Nielssen along the label on the bottle

"Jesus dude, you're crazy," I say, tossing her the bottle.

"What? I just want to have a little fun," she protests, catching it midair.

"Dibs on one," Lilly grins, bumping Amanda on the shoulder.

"See? That's the spirit. Lilly has her head right," Amanda replies, squeezing my shoulder.

Char opens the door to her room, and we all follow her out to the car. The cool October air blows my red silk dress lightly around me, making it cling to my body.

"Perfect weather to party," Amanda yells as we shove her into the car.

The air is thick and hot when we get to Jake's house. People are packed in, and the music is blaring.Jake shoves his way towards me through the bodies, an open bottle of Dom Perignon in his hands.