Chapter Twenty-Three

After an hour long phone conversation with Hailey and a quiet cab ride back to campus, I feel drained.

I finally open my messages to see 30 different texts from my friends asking where I am and why I'm missing senior assembly. Shit, I completely forgot that was after classes today. I lean my head against my dorm window and close my eyes, willing this headache to go away.

A call from Amanda snaps my eyes back open. I hit the ignore button. I just don't have the energy to be around my friends right now. I hear my texts buzz multiple times, showing messages from Amanda. I lock my phone and crawl into bed. I'm almost drifting to sleep when two more loud buzzes wake me up.

"Amanda," I groan, whipping out my phone to turn the sound off.

The name across the screen says Adrian.

I almost drop my phone. Honestly, maybe I should considering how rude he was today.

I put the phone down on my side table, taking a stand against him.

I huff and turn back into bed, trying to ignore my thoughts. Finally, my curiosity gets the best of me, and I pick up my phone off the nightstand. I really don't have the energy to fight with anyone else after today, so I really hope it isn't him being rude again.

I open his messages

--Look, I'm sorry for being an asshole earlier. I didn't mean it, It's just been a hard week

Hard week with the hot blonde? I can't help my curiosity.

--Hard week? I respond

--Today's the anniversary of my dad

Oh God. I feel like the biggest bitch of all time.

--I'm so sorry, I had no idea. Are you okay? I bite my nails nervously. I can't believe I was so rude to him.

--I'm alright. Just in a weird state of mind.

--Do you need anything?

My breath catches as his response pops up on my screen.

--company?

I want to run over right now, but I don't know if it's a good idea. I keep inserting myself back into the situation just for him to pull away.

--mine?

I respond, making sure I read his message right.

--please the response comes back

I sit cross legged on my bed staring at my phone. Should I ask Hailey what to do? A part of me is afraid she will tell me I shouldn't go to his house. I probably shouldn't. But somehow I can't stay away, and before I know it, I'm pulling on my clothes and getting ready. I look in the mirror as I fix my eye makeup from my meltdown earlier, and I can't shake the feeling that I'm doing something I shouldn't. You don't want to be alone right now either  a small voice in my head reminds me.

--okay, I'll come over in a little

I take my ponytail out and let my hair down around my shoulders. I still look a little drained from earlier, but I'm too lazy to put on foundation or anything. I pull my boots back on and grab a jacket.

By the time I make it to Adrian's door, I have thoroughly convinced myself that this is a terrible idea. My nerves have taken over, and I hesitate before knocking on his door. I can see my breath in the cold air in front of me, the exhalations coming out much faster than they should.