Chapter Twenty-Five

"What?" Hailey asks, looking confused.

"Do not turn around now. But Adrian is here," I swallow. "With the same blonde girl that was having dinner at his house on Monday." Fuck, how could I be so stupid? I really let myself believe that last night meant something. And now he's out to dinner for the second time this week with a beautiful blonde woman. I bite my lip. I knew he was too good to be true.

Hailey sneaks a look. "Shit, okay, she is really pretty. But guess what? So are you. And you're wearing that dress. So here's what we're gonna do." She starts off with a plan, of course, but I just can't deal with that right now.

"Hailey, please, I really don't want to do anything. I honestly feel sick to my stomach. I just want to go back to the room."

"Um, hell no, you're not letting him win." She crosses her arms, letting me know that no matter what I say, I'm not getting my way here. I groan.

"We are going to march over to those cute boys at the bar, you're going to own that dress, and we are going to flirt our asses off and pretend he doesn't exist. Got it?" Her resolve is impressive. Maybe I should be more like Hailey.

"Fine, but you're buying me a drink," I say, needing the alcoholic confidence right now.

"No, they're buying us drinks," she says, jutting her chin in the direction of the suit-clad guys at the bar.

"Deal," I say with a smile. Somehow being with Hailey makes me feel as confident as she is.

We get up from the table, telling our waiter we will be at the bar. As we make our way over, I have to force myself not to look at Adrian and the woman. Did last night mean nothing to him? Why didn't he invite her over then?

I force myself to shut off all thoughts about him as Hailey scoots in between two men and introduces herself.

"And this is my sister, Lucy," she says, pulling me close to her.

"Sisters, huh?" the one guy says in a way that makes me feel gross. I look at Hailey. We do look alike, with our brown hair and similar features, but her wide blue eyes replace my narrow green ones.

The second guy turns to me and I immediately warm up. "Greg?!" I recognize his features, so similar to Jake's, from my time at the Ludlow's Newport house this summer.

"Lucy!" he stands up and gives me a hug. "How are you? It's been too long." His genuine air makes me smile. I try and ignore the fact that he said my name so loud that Adrian probably heard.

"I hear you're going with my little brother to formal this weekend," he says, raising his eyebrows. "Making him a very happy boy," he says, smiling.

I laugh. "I am, in fact. Pregame is at your place, I hear," I respond with a smile.

"Oh, but of course," he responds. "That's why I'm in town, actually. My parents are gone for the weekend and I want to make sure Jake doesn't stir up too much trouble in the house."

"You? The responsible chaperone?" I ask incredulously. Memories of him stumbling around the docks this summer come to mind.

"Hey now, cut me some slack," he playfully jabs me. "I can be responsible if I need to be, okay?"

"This summer would say otherwise," I retort. "I do have a vivid memory of you pissing on a police car, hm?"

He puts his head in his hands with feigned remorse. "No one is responsible in the summer," he pleads.

"Well, I can't argue with you there." I take a sip of the gin and tonic he hands me. Memories of me and Jake this summer sear through my mind.

"So this is your sister?" he says, pointing towards Hailey, who's deep in conversation with Greg's creepy friend.