35. father boy

Chapter 35 — father boy

"Josh?"

That's me. Someone's calling me, that much he is aware but he can't bring himself to properly respond. His eyes are still fixated on the car — his father's car, not parked too far away from his car.

"Josh, hey,"

That voice, he realises. I know that voice, it seems close yet so far away.

"Babe, come on, look at me," he feels someone grab his face and turn it.

Elliot, he remembers. They are on a date, and they were having fun, until...

"Hey, hey, hey," Elliot grabs Josh's face again, keeping his gaze on him, "Look at me, it's ok. I'm here,"

"Elliot," Josh says.

"I'm here, I'm here,"

"That... He... My f–,"

"I know," he cuts him off, shaking his head. "Do you wanna get out of here?"

"Yes, please,"

"Okay," Elliot says and apparently that's all the answer he needs really.

The dark-haired boy starts the car engine and drives away. Josh doesn't utter a single word and neither does Elliot, knowing that he probably needs the silence, and as much Josh fights to stay awake, it isn't long before the quiet lulls him to a troubled sleep.

⋘⋙

"Joshua! Come here,"

"Yes, father," a little boy with wide innocent blue eyes comes to stand before the tall, surly man.

As intimidating as the man was, the little boy's heart fills with glee upon seeing the man — his father — he looks up to the most, and the man he wants to make proud most of all. However, the man only frowns down at the little eight-year-old.

"Give me that," he grabs the toy the little boy had in his hands. "It's half past five — what are you still doing in your pyjamas?"

The little boy looks up in confusion — it was the free days; father and mother always say that it was okay to stay in pyjamas during the free days.

"Your aunt and uncle are coming over today, don't you remember?" he sighs.

"Boy, you have to start taking responsibilities from now on — you've got to be good and perfect, alright — it's important for the family. And it's especially important today that you are on your best behaviour and make your father proud in front of your uncle. Can you do that for me?"

"Yes, father," the little boy nods his head enthusiastically — anything for his father's approval.

"Good. Now go and get ready and also see if your mother needs any help with your sister," the man says dismissively, waving his hand.

"Yes, sir," the boy politely obeys and hurries his little legs up to his room.

⋘⋙

Josh stirs around, and accidentally hits his knee against something hard, "Ow," he complains, opening his eyes.

Where am I?, is the first thought that enters his mind as he looks around. It is dark outside, he notices and he definitely isn't in his room. He is in a car — he blinks, trying to regain more awareness, rubbing his eyes with the heels of his hands. And that's when the weight of what he'd witnessed bore into him. However, he remembers not being, nor feeling alone then.