Zehn (10)

As time went by, Mina spent less and less time with Chaeyoung, as she was busy prying informations about Mark from Dahyun and practicing for the tryouts. Some days Chaeyoung had to go home from school by himself, when usually they would go home together with Mina's limousine. Chaeyoung was saddened by it, but there was really nothing he could do about it.

Right now, he was on his way to the basketball court, where the tryout was held. He timidly went to sit at the highest row of the bleachers.

Mina, on the other hand, was trying to calm herself down. She was extremely nervous. Other candidates were amazing, she felt like she couldn't stand a chance against them. Then, she remembered, she wanted Chaeyoung to come, she started scanning the rows of people on the bleachers. Maybe, she would feel comforted if she could just see Chaeyoung. She finally found him, their eyes met, she waved enthusiastically to Chaeyoung's direction, Chaeyoung smiled at her, showing his dimpled smile.

'YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I BELIEVE IN YOU' Chaeyoung showed the paper he wrote for Mina.

Mina mouthed, 'Thank you, Chaeng'

Then came Mina's turn.

"So, You're Myoui Mina? Okay, show us what you've got!" One of the juries said.

Mina started dancing to the music, she danced so elegantly, it shocked the whole audience. Then she ended her performance with the split pose. She heaved a sigh. The crowd cheered for her. She got up, bowed, then ran to find Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung was also on his way to find Mina. Unexpectedly, Mark got in Mina's ways. Mark handed Mina a bottle of Pocari Sweat.

"That was a really cool performance, Mina. I hope you get accepted in the cheers squad. I could use a great support system like you during competitions." Mark complimented Mina.

Mina accepted the Pocari Sweat and blushed. "We-well, thank you, Mark oppa." Mina thanked Mark, forgetting Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung looked at their interactions, sadly. He lifted up his hand, that's holding a water bottle. He turned around and left the court.

He hurried to the school gate, when he bumped into JB. Chaeyoung bowed repeatedly, afraid that he would get beaten up.

JB held Chaeyoung's face and held it up, upon looking at Chaeyoung's face, JB released him and smirked.

"You're Son Chaeyoung, the mute boy" He sneered, whilst laughing like a maniac.

Chaeyoung just looked at the ground.

"Wait, I see your only friend doesn't want to befriend you anymore." JB mocked.

"Can't blame her, honesly, I wouldn't want to hangout with a mute boy like you too." JB continued to taunt him.

"In fact, If I were your mother, I would send you to an orphanage as soon as you were born." JB mocked Chaeyoung.

At this statement, Chaeyoung balled his fists.

"I mean, giving birth is painful, you know, giving birth to a mute boy is just horrible, I can't imagine, how disappointed your mother was, when he discovered that you were mute." JB continued to mock him.

"I bet she considered sending you to an orphanage." JB added.

Chaeyoung was enraged by JB's insults. People could insult him all they wanted, but they should never brought up his mother. He couldn't hold it in anymore, he then punched JB's stomach.

JB looked at Chaeyoung in anger, he grabbed Chaeyoung's collar and started beating Chaeyoung up.

Chaeyoung just cried, while receiving the punches, deep down inside, he was thinking that what JB said was perhaps true. It must be horrible for his mother to give birth to a problematic child like him at such a young age. These thoughts never occurred to him before, he never realized, he's a burden to his mother.

JB landed his last kick at Chaeyoung's small body.

"That's what you get for hitting me, you little shit." JB scolded Chaeyoung then left him alone.

Chaeyoung just laid there, crying silently, while still thinking about what JB said. This time, there was no Mina to rescue him, nor comfort him.

He helplessly got up then walked to the bus stop to take the bus to his home.

Jihyo just got home from work, she entered her rooftop house to be met with Chaeyoung, sitting on the dining table, staring blankly into space.

"Chaengie, why aren't you asleep yet, honey?" Jihyo asked as she approached him.

Upon seeing Chaeyoung's scars, Jihyo exclaimed, "Oh My God, Chaengie, let me take care of your wounds, okay?"

Chaeyoung didn't respond. Jihyo took the first aid kit and started tending to his wounds.

After she was done, Jihyo held his right hand and said, "Chaengie, please tell me what happened"

Instead of answering, Chaeyoung just went to her embrace, bawling his eyes out. Jihyo rubbed his back to sooth him.

"It's okay, Chaengie, I'm here" Jihyo soothed.

After Chaeyoung calmed down, he apologized by whispering, "Mommy, I'm sorry"

"What are you apologizing for, Chaeng? What have you done?" Jihyo asked her son, confused.

"I can't speak" Chaeyoung whispered to his mother then started crying again.

"Chaeng, it's not your fault, honey, and why do you even feel the need to apologize, anyway?" Jihyo questioned  him again.

In betweend his sobs, he answered by whispering, "Because, *sob*, you must've been disappointed, *sob*, giving birth to a son, who can't speak like me."

"I'm sorry, Mommy" Chaeyoung whispered, while crying.

After hearing Chaeyoung's answer, Jihyo started to cry too, insecurities overwhelmed her.

"I should be the one, who apologizes to you, Chaeng. When I knew about your condition, I wanted to bring you back to the psychologist again, to get you treated, but I didn't have enough money for that. *sob* This ugly house, almost all of your possessions are secondhand stuffs. I want to give you so much more,  Chaeng. You are so talented at drawing, when I discovered it, I wanted to take you to a drawing course, so you could develop your talent, but I don't have enough money for that. *sob* You deserve so much more, Chaeng. *sob* It kills me that I can never give you those. " Jihyo cried.

"You getting bullied is also part of my fault, if you were normal, noone would tease you, but I really can't afford those treaments, Chaeng. It hurts me, seeing you go home with bruises on your face.
Sometimes, I thought that maybe I gave birth to you just to bring sufferings to you. I-*sob*" Jihyo added.

"It's not your fault, Mommy. I'm sorry for bringing this up." Chaeyoung was quickly overwhelmed with regret.

"I love being your son, Mommy. You're the best mommy in the world. Nobody can replace you, I'm happy with my life, Mommy. As long as I have you by my side, I don't care what it is that I have to face. I love you, please don't think that way" Chaeyoung murmured.

Jihyo gently pushed Chaeyoung to look at him in the eyes, "Promise me you won't think that way too. I have never been disappointed in you, Chaeng. You are the best thing that has happened to me, Chaeng. You are a lovely and talented child, I would never trade you for anything." Jihyo soothed.

"You'll never leave me, too?" Chaeyoung  whispered to Jihyo.

"Why would I leave you, Chaeng?" Jihyo chuckled.

"Promise me, you'll always be by my side" Chaeyoung seriously said.

"I promise" Jihyo murmured and then pecked Chaeyoung's crown.

"I only have you, Mommy, please don't leave me!" Chaeyoung added, burying his face on his mom's shoulder.

"I won't" Jihyo breathed.

Then they hugged for awhile, before Jihyo broke the silence, "Chaeng, you still have school tomorrow, go and take a bath, and then sleep"

Chaeyoung broke off the hug, he kissed his mother's cheeks then went to take a bath.