chapter ix.

chapter nine – unknown variable.

  Sage and Mike's walk through the mines was silent, both their moods somber with the worrying thoughts of how their friends were

  Sage and Mike's walk through the mines was silent, both their moods somber with the worrying thoughts of how their friends were. Were they even alive? Neither of them knew and it sucked.

As the duo jumped down into a larger tunnel than before, Sage holding back a whimper as pain shot through her shoulder. Their only light, Mike's lighter, suddenly cuts off leaving Sage and Mike in complete darkness.

" Fuck. That's it, " Mike curses quietly as Sage could only watch as Mike continued to struggle with getting the lighter back on. He tries to light it once again and fails, both also failing to notice the pair of eyes watching them inbetween the planks of wood. " Come on, Come on. . " Mike mutters as Sage looks around trying to find anything that could help them out. She notices a lantern laying on the ground only a few feet away and heads to grab it, seeing Mike finally able to get the lighter to flicker back on.

" Third times the charm, huh? " Sage teases him with a small smile, hoping to lighten the mood atleast a little but fails making her smile quickly turn into a frown. She holds the lantern out to Mike with her good arm, raising an eyebrow when he looks at her in surprise. " What? "

Mike only clears his throat before shaking his head as he quickly grabs the lantern from Sage, lighting the lantern and illuminating their path on the first try, " Nothing, Sage. "

They walked in silence once again, both spotting the exit from the mines and quickening their pace. Sage lets out a sigh of relief at the thought of finally escaping the mines that had already brought her so much pain. The duo finally left the mines, walking through the thick snow slowly as they hoped to spot the unknown man or one of their friends.

" Mike, " Sage shouts over the howling wind as she nudges him quickly with her bad arm accidentally, letting out a whimper from the pain that shot through her arm once again. " I'm fine, M, " She reassures the worried looking Munroe before gesturing to the building that she had quickly spotted in the distance and the man quickly walking towards it. " Is that the guy you saw earlier? The guy who took Jess? "

" Yeah, " Mike nods rapidly as they moved through the snow quicker than before, squinting at the building infront of them in curiousity. " Jesus! The fuck is that place? "

It was obvious that the building in the distance was rundown, wood boarding up some windows and the building obviously not being taken care by the Washingtons or the unknown man.

" I have no idea. " Sage frowns as the thought crosses her mind that maybe they should turn back around and just try to find their other friends, but she shook her head quickly and got herself to focus. Her and Mike needed to find out who this man was.