PROLOGUE

Three years ago

Three years ago.

"Give me the damned money, I'm not going to repeat myself twice!" My dad slammed his fist against the coffee table with a loud thud, causing me to cling onto Emma's tiny figure as she hid in my embrace.

"No, Chris. I told you I won't! I worked so hard to earn this money while you were out clubbing. I won't let you waste my daughters' money on alcohol anymore." My mum's voice echoed through the entire house despite the fact that she tried to keep it down for the sake of Emma. My frightened little sister tugged at the fabric of my sleeve as teardrops flowed through her beautiful eyes and rolled down her puffy cheeks. "Why are mummy and daddy shouting again, Hazey?"

I would be lying if I said I wasn't frightened too but maybe less than she was, I kind of got used to their arguments after all. Calling my best shot, I forced a smile and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "I don't know but it will be okay. Dad is just upset tonight."

"Are you fucking kidding me, Sophia!? Now I'm wasting money? You sure as hell didn't mind my drinking habit when I used to earn money too."

"I didn't because you used to drink moderately! Now - you are just an abusive monster."

"Monster? How dare you?" I heard something shattering downstairs and I figured it was a piece of furniture as always. I couldn't stop the tears from falling. The very same ones I held for so long. I was sick of it - all of it. The screaming, the tears, endless arguments, and the lies I'd been constantly feeding Emma.

I wanted an escape - or maybe I wanted my old dad back. The one that actually loved us.

"Hazey, I'm so sleepy." The words came out all muffled and low from Emma's mouth as she rested her head against my chest, seeking solace. Ironically enough, I was the one to seek it in her.

I caressed her hair and kissed the crown of her hair. "Sleep, baby. I'm here and I won't leave you."

☆ ☆ ☆

If this prologue starts with "university had always seemed so essential" instead of "Three years ago", it's a sign to log out of your Wattpad account and log in again. This book had been officially rewritten. Thank you!

 Thank you!