CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

My evening shift was almost done as I finished pricing the merchandise for next week

Jacob helped me out with the stocking for hours and honestly, I was grateful. I got used to having him here every weekend. Elizabeth, Jacob, and I would spend the whole time laughing and cracking jokes without Mr. Miles potentially noticing.

Mostly because half of those jokes revolved around him. Although I had a feeling he figured we mentioned him a few times along the way. Surprisingly, he didn't mind. Or at least, I thought so. I'd caught quite a few glimpses of him smiling sarcastically from afar. It seemed like his relationship with Jacob was pretty healthy.

They were so comfortable around each other, almost like friends. No wonder Mr. Miles's love for books rubbed off on Jacob. He'd told me that he used to get him a book to read every week as a kid and that's how he grew so fond of them.

Another plus point was being born into a family that runs a book business. Basically, that meant he'd be loaded for eternity. How great it is not to ever run out of books to read?

What I found really cute was the fact that Jacob would still come by to buy a book from the bookstore every week. I thought it was weird at first since Jacob practically owned this place but apparently to Mr. Miles; he was just a customer and an employee. No special treatments.

Which Jacob gladly accepted.

I fetched Ugly Love By Colleen Hoover from the carton box and tiptoed to place it on the higher shelf of the Romance section. I wasn't exactly short but one would think that a girl who's 5'7 would actually reach the higher shelves.

I huffed and tiptoed a bit more, only to fail miserably. It was in times like these when I needed Jacob. I let my arms fall loosely and sighed, trailing my fingers over the blue cover of the book. "What do I do with you now?"

This book was one of my favorites. Miles' backstory broke my heart and to be quite honest, that Rachel girl didn't deserve him. I mean, you could at least reach out to the guy who loved you more than life itself to tell him you're okay after getting your life together. Even a phone call will do. He was in pain for six freaking years.

But I was glad he found Tate, she was a great girl.

The irony though. Miles.

I giggled stupidly.

"Let me guess, a Miles' reference?" Jacob pipped up from behind me. A wide grin on his face, emphasizing his adorable dimples.

"Yeah, seems like it." I chuckled a bit more.

He then ushered for me to hand him the book and I did. He looked at it a bit longer before diverting his attention to me. "The dude's a survivor. I mean, losing a kid and the love of your life at the same time gotta suck. Worst day of his life."