IV

Ari Lennox's soulful voice quietly played through the Echo Dot speaker in the kitchen. It was barely the crack of dawn, as Egypt was already up attending to house chores. This had been her daily routine for the past week. She would wake up very early in the day, clean up the entire condo, and prepare a nice breakfast before Jordan came downstairs. 

Now that Michelle's unexpected visit to Toronto had come to an end, Egypt was able to regain her sanity back. Throughout her one week stay, Michelle either complained, insulted, or belittled her with any given chance. She refused to see any good in her son's girlfriend, which only caused Egypt's patience to run thin with the older lady. Once Jordan made it obvious that he didn't have her back, she was left with no choice but to spend a few nights in a hotel until it came time for Michelle's departure.

     "I've been eatin' whipped cream, havin' vivid dreams. Of your face and through people on the TV screen." Egypt calmly sang. She was mindful not to be too loud, as Jordan was still asleep upstairs.

Egypt spent an hour wiping down the countertops, mopping the floors, vacuuming the carpets, and disinfecting the entire home. After, she was back in the kitchen to cook breakfast. Jordan was extremely particular with his meals, so Egypt made sure to be careful with the way she prepared them.

     From a distance, Jordan's light footsteps were heard coming down the staircase. A Louis Vuitton duffle bag was sported over his shoulder, as the Off White hoodie, he wore covered the growing curls on his head. Despite the explicit music that played through the AirPods in his ear, he could still hear the soft voice that peacefully flowed from the kitchen.

"Mornin' babe." Jordan greeted over the music. He stepped further into the kitchen, dropping his duffle bag at the entrance. "It smells good in here."

     Egypt cheerfully smiled at his words. Though it was a small compliment, it still meant a lot to her. "Thanks... and good morning."

"You must have done some cleaning earlier. I've been smelling bleach all morning."

     "Yeah, I got up early to handle a few chores."

"Well, I'm glad you did... everywhere's finally spotless now. Did you ever get a chance to wash those clothes I left in the hamper?"

     Shaking her head, Egypt replied, "No, I haven't gotten to them yet. I'll try to get it done before the end of the day."

"Please do, my team shorts are in there and I need those cleaned asap," Jordan mumbled, finding a seat at the stool of the kitchen island. "Oh and also, I need you to pick up my suit from Romano. I gotta have it here before Friday night."

     "Okay, I'll try to get it sometime today."

"Thanks."

     "No problem. Are you hungry?"

Now diverting his attention to the cell phone in his hand, Jordan shrugged his shoulders. "I guess I could eat. How much longer do I have to wait?"

     "Not too long. I'm almost done." Egypt confirmed, grabbing a few plates out of the cupboard. She continued to finish up at the stove, while Jordan patiently waited at the island. Momentarily, she placed a plate filled with blueberry pancakes, potatoes, bacon, scrambled eggs, and mixed fruit in front of him, while taking her seat beside him. Together, they blessed their food and dug in.

"How does it taste?"

     Jordan looked up from his meal, "It's actually good. You didn't overdo it this time with the seasoning. Good job."

"Thanks." Egypt smiled.

     As silence roamed the kitchen, the young couple continued to enjoy their meals. Egypt slowly bit into a strawberry, allowing its juices to fill her mouth. She chewed slowly until the taste of the fruit was no longer on her tongue.