VII

'Let me be patient let me be kind
Make me unselfish without being blind
Though I may suffer I'll envy it not
And endure what comes
'Cause he's all that I got and tell him'

'Tell him I need him
Tell him I love him
And it'll be alright
Tell him, tell him I need him
Tell him I love him
It'll be alright''

     While the soft vocals sung by Lauryn Hill played smoothly in the background, Egypt stood in front of the bathroom mirror of the guest bedroom and carefully removed her hair from the overnight Bantu knots they were kept in. She slowly rocked her hips to the soulful tune that filled her ears, as she allowed her mind to become carried away by the lyrics.

"Tell him I need him... tell him I love him, and it'll be alright." Egypt sang passionately. She sang loudly, not caring about how much noise she was making. After all, no one else was home except for her. Jordan had been gone the entire morning, and Egypt hadn't bothered to question him on his whereabouts.

     It had now made a week since the night of their argument, and Jordan was still giving Egypt the cold shoulder. These days he barely spoke to her, and each time he did it was always one-worded and dry. He also hadn't allowed her to return back to their bedroom, so that left Egypt with spending every night in the guest bedroom.

Regardless of Egypt's numerous attempts in expressing how sorry she was, it didn't seem to matter to Jordan. He continued to ignore her, while she continued to blame herself. She didn't like sleeping alone at night and she also didn't like the fact that the two weren't on good terms at the moment.

     From the bathroom, Egypt heard the sound of the home alarm system. There was only one person who would be walking through the front door and that was Jordan. She didn't want to bother or annoy him, so she remained where she was and softly combed out her natural curls.

While downstairs, Jordan stood in the walkway of his home expecting to see his girlfriend in front of him. Even though he hadn't been giving her any attention, that never stopped Egypt from welcoming him home every day. He wasn't expecting today to be any different.

     "Egypt!" Jordan yelled her name. "Egypt... baby!"

Even with the music and bathroom door closed, Egypt could still hear Jordan repeatedly calling her name from wherever he was. It was the tone in his voice that made her curious, and wonder what he could possibly want. Since he had been ignoring her for the last few days, it came as a surprise to her that he was actually reaching out to her. Quickly washing her hands, Egypt paused the music that played from her phone and left out of the bathroom.

     As she took her time coming down the staircase, Jordan watched her from a distance. A faint smile controlled Egypt's face the moment she met eyes with him. For some reason, his presence suddenly made her nervous.

Jordan stared at her carefully and smiled at her random shyness. "Hey, baby,"

     Egypt returned the smile, "Hey, you're back already? I wasn't expecting you home so soon."

"Yeah, I just had to handle a few things. How was your day?"

     "It was okay. I've just been upstairs trying to get my hair together." Egypt answered while playing with her fingers. She kept a reasonable distance between the two of them, slightly feeling uncomfortable with his sudden behavior.

Did he just ask me about my day? That's a first.

     Jordan's eyes trailed upward at the dark brown tresses that flowed from Egypt's scalp. "It looks nice."