04 - Stealing & Uneasy Feelings

"You should really return it."

In EJ's car, Ashlyn and EJ were searching through Nini's phone. He knew he couldn't control his emotions, and he was on the verge of storming Ricky's house and pounding him when he got a call from his cousin Ashlyn, imploring him to take her out for ice cream. He bought her a Slurpee instead because he knew she was lactose intolerant.

EJ pinched the bridge of his nose with exasperation. "Just drink your Slurpee, Ash."

He didn't bother to ask about her obvious annoyance with him since he was too preoccupied with the notion that he had made a massive mistake. He was in desperate need of advice on how to get out of the mess he had found himself in. Ashlyn was the only person who could understand his predicament.

"I'm not sure. It's probably not the best course of action." EJ finished explaining the entire situation before turning off his girlfriend's phone and stowing it in the back pocket of his jeans. "What if she finds out?"

"She will find out." Ashlyn took a sip of her strawberry Slurpee. "Might as well tell her before someone else finds out and then tells her⸺"

"Which won't be you because I trust you." He raised a brow, glancing at her.

"I'm not stupid."

"I won't tell her; that's completely out of the question." EJ retorted and crossed his arms. "I'll just head to school early tomorrow and put it in the Lost 'n Found. See? Nini will assume she was simply being clumsy or whatever, and nothing will have gone wrong."

His cousin shrugged her shoulders and continued to drink her Slurpee in peace, just as EJ contemplated a plan of what he could do if Nini ever did find out about him stealing her phone. Was it really stealing, though? He thought. It just happened to be there and coincidentally, he was at the same place at that exact time.

He shook his head in regret. He was going to return the phone-⸺just not directly.

✩✩✩

EJ headed over to his high school the next day, early in the morning, and dropped Nini's phone into the Lost 'n 'Found, where he hoped would be found in other less conspicuous terms. 

Later that morning, right before classes were supposed to begin, Nini sat down with her best friend, Kourtney, in the hallways leading up to her locker. The two were gossiping about how excited they were about the drama performance, that was coming up in a few months.

"Have you talked to Ricky?" Kourtney said and chewed on her bubblegum.

Nini sighed, a little annoyed. She hadn't talked to her ex-boyfriend since she told him off the day before. She was still upset with him but was starting to feel a little guilty about yelling at him. However, the guilt vanished as soon as it came, as she remembered that he still only auditioned for the sake of winning her back. It's not going to happen, she thought.

After some more conversations shared between two very good friends, Ricky popped in and sat down in front of them, earning a glare from Kourtney. Ever since the break-up between Nini and Ricky, she had become extra protective over her best friend. No man would ever dare to hurt the ones she cared about.

"Hey Nini, Kourtney," Ricky said excitedly. It was as if he had totally forgotten about the argument from the day before. "About you and⸺"

"I don't think she wants to hear it, Rick."

"It's important, Kourt."

Although Nini didn't have any intention of hearing what he had to say, merely because she was still upset with him, she didn't say anything and sat quietly, waiting for him to continue.

"Did you hear my voicemail?"

"What voicemail?" she finally said, a trace of uncertainty in her voice.

"Oh⸺nevermind.

He suddenly stood up and walked out of the room, leaving Nini and Kourtney dumbfounded. Kourtney then made a gesture that suggested Ricky had officially lost his marbles, which garnered a light giggle from the other.

Nini paused and fiddled with her hands. Although it hurt her to think that way, she began to realize something, for the better or for the worse⸺it was beyond her.