26 - Rivalries & Broken Dreams

IT WAS late into the evening and Ricky had only just stepped out of East High

IT WAS late into the evening and Ricky had only just stepped out of East High. After a lengthy and tiring drama practice in the theatre room, to say that he was exhausted would be an understatement. 

Sometimes he found himself wondering why he even bothered; it was very time-consuming which meant less time for him to be doing what he thought were more important things like playing video games and hanging out with friends. 

Of course, though. What kept him going at the end of the day was why exactly he joined the crew in the first place. It was for her but who 'her' was what he wasn't sure of anymore. 

For the longest time, Ricky had a set plan in mind: get selected as the lead male role in the school play and win Nini back. Now, however, he didn't know.

A simple golden-haired girl had now caught his attention. The kind that he couldn't help but not look away from. 

Speaking of her, she was sitting right there on a bench not too far from him. From the little while that Ricky had known her, he quickly found out that Julia always took the evening bus back home after drama practice. As for any other day, he wasn't sure whether she bussed home or got picked up by her aunt. Well, considering the fact that practically everyone knew that Julia's Aunt was a busy woman, it would be safe to assume that being picked up probably wasn't the case. 

Sliding his backpack further up his shoulders, Ricky casually made his way over to the said girl. It didn't take long - if anything but - for Julia to notice him, as his presence was way too obvious at times. 

"Jules." He nodded curtly at her once before taking a set in the empty spot next to her on the bench. "What'd you think of practice today?"

"It was okay," she replied, smiling slightly at him. At least, Ricky hoped it was directed to him. "We're almost done, so I guess that's a relief."

He simply studied her for a moment, his eyebrows instinctively raised at the thought that Julia was relieved that the production would be over and done with soon. "Really?"

"Yes..?"

"No, it's just that you seemed like you really enjoyed the entire experience. I didn't think you'd be okay with leaving."

"Well Ricky, everything has an end eventually, just not always in the ways we expect it to. We have to accept the end of something in order to begin something anew."

Ricky blinked, his head tilted a bit to the side as he took in what Julia had just said. Behind the quiet and innocent girl was someone more wise hidden underneath. For some oddly alarming reason, he found himself regretting ever thinking that Julia wasn't worth his time. Chasing after a girl who didn't even peak a second glance his way all this time, and in reality - what he wanted - no, needed the most was who he was always too blind to see. 

That was until today. 

He awkwardly cleared his throat, scrimmaging off his hoodie to instead hold it in his hands. "Can I - can I drop you home?"