23 - Early Morning & Snoring Bowen

JULIA WOKE up early to the sweet sound of silence

JULIA WOKE up early to the sweet sound of silence. Everyone else in her hotel room were still sleeping, and activities wouldn't start for another couple of hours. She doubted breakfast was even being served yet, but she couldn't bring herself to go back to sleep.

Silently getting out of bed, she slipped on her sweater and padded to the door, careful not to wake the other girls.

It was empty in the main lobby, the fire dying from yesterday night, and not even a clerk at the front desk. Well, at least she thought it was empty. Either way, she nearly got a heart attack when she saw a tall, lean figure rise up from the nearest couch and turn to head to the elevators.

The boy turned around and it was indeed Ricky Bowen.

"Jules?" He mumbled sleepily, reaching up to run his hands through his hair. A chill ran up her spine when he said her name. His voice was scratchy and deeper than usual like he'd just woken up. She hated admitting it to herself, but it was kind of hot.

"Morning," she said, sitting down on the couch, expecting him to greet her back and then leave. Instead, he backtracked and sat down next to her, smiling slightly now, although still a little bleary-eyed. She raised an eyebrow.

"Weren't you just headed back?"

He shrugged, yawning and stretching a little. She could see the muscles in his arms and broad shoulders stretch too, and she'd be lying if she said they weren't distracting. In a good or bad way, that was what she wasn't sure of. "Yeah, I was. But I thought I'd keep you company."

She nodded but didn't say anything. For a moment, it was silent before he piped up again.

"So, what's got you up so early?"

She shrugged, pulling her knees up and resting her chin in between them. "Dunno. Maybe just a little down that we'll be leaving today." She smiled, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. Gosh, her smile. It was so precious, he'd been stupid for not realizing it earlier.

"What about you?" She asked curiously and he chuckled before stifling another yawn.

"Couldn't sleep. The fire over here seems inviting, so I decided to come and clear my head," he admitted.

"Yeah, I feel the same way. I wasn't really sure where I was going at first, but this fire does look comforting," she commented, smiling. Slowly, she looked up at him and they locked eyes, and he felt that electric current run down his spine like...always. He couldn't bring himself to look away, not when she was finally looking at him too.

"What?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Uh, what?"

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

He smiled light-heartedly. "Because you're nice to look at." His answer was abrupt like he hadn't given it a single thought. She blinked, slightly taken aback but then shook her head, rolling her eyes.