28 - Invitations & Realizations

JULIA WAS hanging around outside of the school building during her spare block

JULIA WAS hanging around outside of the school building during her spare block. The sounds of birds flying, wind howling and the hoots of other students did nothing to dissuade her from the cellphone in her hand. Her gaze scanned the words intently as she reread the last part of the message for the umpteenth time, her eyebrows furrowed.

When she reached the end of the text from her mom, she found herself wondering what the heck she'd ever done to upset them

She read it again twice more, just to be sure, but the same words glared up at her, messily typed up in her mother's familiar grammar. At the bottom of the lengthy message, there were a few hastily written sentences.

Julia clutched her phone tighter in her hand, sighing. She couldn't believe it. They'd been serious about not being back for Christmas. They basically didn't want to see her, and they couldn't care less about how she felt. Apparently, she would get in the way of their business.

Truth be told, she'd never really had a great relationship with her parents anyway. Sure, they were a peaceful family with hardly any problems, but it was still there, that small, unspoken gap between them. To make matters worse, when they had moved their business abroad, she'd only kept drifting further away from them. Whenever they were home, conversions during dinner were shorter and more polite, while smiles were more strained.

Rubbing her temples wearily, she tried to keep the scowl off of her face. She simply couldn't be bothered to try anymore. Besides, now, they weren't even going to be home for Christmas now. Instead, she'd be spending it alone at home, as her aunt always had hospital shifts on the day of.

Uncrossing her stiff legs, she stretched slightly, yawning. She could feel her eyelids drifting shut, and her shoulders felt heavy, like she was carrying the earth on them. Her previous semi-good mood had vanished, and now, all she felt like doing was getting the heck away from school and sinking down in her bed for eternity.

"Julia, hey!"

A familiar, loud voice had startled her out of her sleepy stupor, and she looked up to see Aaron approaching her with the usual grin on his face. She hadn't expected anyone to find her, that too since she was behind a large tree. But then again, Aaron always managed to do the unexpected.