Heart Of Ice Prologue

"I have a job for you, Witcher," Queen Vaires spoke, her eyes burning down at him and her voice echoing through the cold stone walls of her strangely empty throne room. The lack of security hadn't gone unnoticed by The Witcher. Whatever the job was, the Queen didn't want anyone knowing about it and after he'd heard what it entailed, he knew why. "I need you to find princess Anaya and kill her."  

   Although surprised by her words, The Witcher did not show any visible signs of a reaction or bother to ask any questions. He had learned by now to not worry himself with the continuous wishes of rich folk. 

   "I kill monsters, not girls," The Witcher said.

   "Princess Anaya is not a normal girl. The devil lives inside her. He controls her and gives her otherworldly powers," Queen Vaires said, lowering her voice to make sure no eavesdroppers could hear of her accusations. 

   "The devil does not hide inside princesses. If you see him, you'll know," The Witcher said, turning his back on the Queen to head out. His time here was a waste.

   "Do you know of the women of Lilit?" The Queen said, stopping The Witcher in his tracks. "Anaya, she was born during an Eclipse. She's of royal blood."

   The Witcher turned to face the Queen. "You're implying the girl is one of the sixty women who will give rise to Lilit."

   The Queen looked down at The Witcher, her eyes portraying nothing but strength. "I've seen her do things, Witcher. I've heard of things she's done. I have tried to protect her as best as a mother could, but after the King passed, I'm afraid she's become more dangerous than ever. I tried to tell her, but I'm afraid I only made her angry, which is why she ran. Now she's out there and I can't begin to imagine the horrors she's inflicting upon my poor citizens. Just look at what she did to me!" The Queen said, sliding her left hand out of her silk glove. 

   The Witcher looked at the Queen's burnt flesh, he looked at the so-called evidence she presented to demonstrate the princess's powers. However, he knew there were other motives at play here. It was no secret the Queen had no real claim to the throne, at least not once the princess came of age. This was a game for power, no doubt. Still, if the girl truly was who the Queen made her out to be, he knew he had to stop her. 

   "What is the reward?" The Witcher said. 

   "Two thousand gold coins for the princess's heart."

   "You want me to cut out her heart?"

   "I need proof," The Queen shrugged. 

   "I accept your task," The Witcher said. "If the princess is who you say she is, I will bring you her heart."