Chapter 7 • A Deal

The night was hard to get through, to say the least. Anaya had an easier time falling asleep in the woods on the damp and cold ground than the shithole they were staying in. At least in the forest, she had the luxury of quietness. In the tavern, however, not only was she forced to listen to the loud snoring of her two traveling companions, but also to the sounds of beds squeaking and thumping, accompanied by loud groans of release that came from the other rooms and would forever be burned into her mind. This tavern was no tavern, it couldn't have been. It sounded more like a brothel. 

   Somewhere in the middle of the night, despite the sinful sounds omitting through the room and Geralt's muscular arm that was weighing her down and cutting off her circulation, Anaya somehow managed to fall asleep. 

   When she woke up, however, it wasn't because she'd gotten a full night's sleep. It would appear life wouldn't allow her a proper sleep without something ruining it. Last time it was the two huntsmen, but now, this time it was much worse because when Anaya woke up to the feeling of warm breath on the top of her bed, she found herself laying on Geralt's naked chest. 

   A feeling of dread washed over her and her face lit on fire. Her head was on him. Her head was on his chest, on his muscular chest that still somehow managed to feel comfortable underneath her head. Not only that, but she had also managed to snuggle in between his side and arm so that his arm was now touching her bottom. She could hear the thumping of his slow heartbeat in his chest and she just hoped that meant he was still asleep, that he hadn't noticed what she'd done. 

   Slowly, she turned her head away from the direction of Garrison who was still sleeping soundly, and up towards Geralt's face. She prayed to all the gods and deities she knew, hoping he wasn't awake. They didn't listen. Because when Anaya finally faced Geralt, his golden eyes were wide open and boring into hers. 

   "You're very awake at night," he grumbled. 

   Shrieking, she jumped off him and managed to fall off the bed, hitting the ground with a loud thump that woke up Garrison. Groaning, she pushed herself off the ground and rubbed her throbbing bottom. Okay, maybe she could have handled that better.

   "Ah, rough night?" Garrison winked at Anaya, watching her rub her bottom. "Geralt, you scallywag."

   Anaya immediately stopped rubbing her ass and stared at Geralt in horror. She would never, not in a million years be able to live this day down. 

~~~

   The three exited the tavern and decided to head to the village to restock on any supplies they might need to continue their journey. Deciding to leave Roach in the stable, they walked to the village as it was close to the tavern which was nice, but that was where the luxuries ended. 

  Anaya had visited many villages in her lifetime, all of which were fairly close to the capital where she lived. However, this village, the one they all currently stood in wasn't like any village Anaya had seen before. The buildings that should have been buzzing with life were all run down and broken, just like the tavern. The market and stalls were all so low on supplies they could only offer two to three items each. The ragged cobblestone streets were lined with children who looked like walking skeletons as they searched and begged for food from anyone that came their way. The worst part of it all was the elders and the parents who were so void of life, staring with such blankness at the world before them it seemed as though they were already carcasses of deceased humans. 

   "Excuse me, sir?" said a little girl, staggering up to Geralt. "Do you have some bread you could spare?" 

   Geralt stared down at the girl and her sad eyes that were staring up at him. "Fuck," he grumbled, giving into the girl's expression and handing her a coin. The girl's face lit up into a smile and she thanked him before running off.